johnson 140 looper air silencer

scottie c

Recruit
I have a 1985 johnson 140 hp looper that wont run right with air silencer on. Take the silencer off and the miss goes away and runs great cleaned carbs new needle and seat adjusted float height. Ran motor for a year with it off but had wrong prop at time only hit 4000 rpm. have right prop now and does 5800 rpm. specs 5500-6000 rpm I was told that it was bad to run loopers without silencer. is there a differance between 120 silencer and 140. I dont know that it was swaped im just reaching thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: johnson 140 looper air silencer

Check the BRP Evinrude website parts list to see if pn is same for both

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The way the carbs were calibrated the air silencer should be on. If you ran it with the silencer off it would starve for fuel. You may want to get some new high speed jets for it ( original size) and try that. Jets do wear out and get richer.

scottie c

Recruit

Check the BRP Evinrude website parts list to see if pn is same for both

thanks for the info and they are the same part #. I still dont know why it has a miss with the silencer on.

scottie c

Recruit

I checked the jet size and omc calls for a 59 d jet and the jet is in fact a 59 d

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Fuel passing through a jet on a mtr that age can make it run richer. Things do wear. Been through it before.