winterizing question

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a problem I am trying to work out...

I live in utah where the winter can get pretty cold, and it can come on at anytime or stay warm until late december. I have a large lake that I go fishing on that does not freeze until Mid to late december.

I would like to get as much fishing as I can this year, but I do not want to risk my engine freezing up and cracking. My boat lives in my garage that sometimes can reach freezing temps, but not often. is there something I can do to prevent needing to winterize my engine until the lake freezes up? The lake it open to boaters as long as it is not frozen so i would hate to winterize my boat and miss out of good fishing.

Is there a blanket, or some thing I can add to my engine to prevent freezing. It is a inboard Mercruiser 3.0L.

Does it take way below 32 degrees to freeze an engine because I know my garage does not get colder than 32 degrees.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: winterizing question

Put a heater in the garage. Anything below freezing temp 32f may potentially cause damage.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a problem I am trying to work out...

I live in utah where the winter can get pretty cold, and it can come on at anytime or stay warm until late december. I have a large lake that I go fishing on that does not freeze until Mid to late december.

I would like to get as much fishing as I can this year, but I do not want to risk my engine freezing up and cracking. My boat lives in my garage that sometimes can reach freezing temps, but not often. is there something I can do to prevent needing to winterize my engine until the lake freezes up? The lake it open to boaters as long as it is not frozen so i would hate to winterize my boat and miss out of good fishing.

Is there a blanket, or some thing I can add to my engine to prevent freezing. It is a inboard Mercruiser 3.0L.

Does it take way below 32 degrees to freeze an engine because I know my garage does not get colder than 32 degrees.

Ayuh,.... With yer 3.0l is pretty Easy to fish til the launch freezes solid... Safely....

From now til the end of the season, when ya load the boat on the wagon, Drain it...

There's a drain on the bottom of the block, portside, 'n the manifold drain is just above it...
Make sure they drain well, 'n ain't plugged up...
Then pull the big hose off the circulating water pump...

When ya get to the garage, put the drive Down...

It'll be Safe from freezing...

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know if your engine has this feature or not, but my 06 Bayliner 175 with the 3.0 had a quick drain feature on it. Basically a T handle on the top of the motor connected to quick releases for the block and manifold drains. Pull the handle and all the water came out. But yeah like bond-o said, just drain the water out of it after each late season use and you should be good.

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I do not need to drain the motor oil, or gear oil after each use? When i pull the plugs and let it drain, do i just let it drain into the bilge bay and out the boat through the rubber plug, or are there other things that will drain out that I do not want in the bilge bay?

bick

Seaman Apprentice

No need to drain the oils, just the water from the engine into the bilge and out the transom drain.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

So I do not need to drain the motor oil, or gear oil after each use? When i pull the plugs and let it drain, do i just let it drain into the bilge bay and out the boat through the rubber plug, or are there other things that will drain out that I do not want in the bilge bay?

hi....you are under sever misconceptions with this statement.....let me try and help.

the purpose of winterizing it to pre-pair your boat for its long slumber.
freezing is just one of the things we protect it from.
the changing of the oil and drive oil are just part of it...we change the oils...not just drain them. we also do many other inspections.

in your case.......winterizing fully is not that much of an issue..........winterizing is a major part of boat maintenance.
in an area that does not need winterizing.....you should have a regular maintenance schedule any how. this schedule will have all of the necessary maintenance items with the exception of block storage.

since you are in a garage.....a simple heater or light bulb with the motor drive down will most likely work.......(or just heat your garage)
keep in mind....if the power fails AND the temp drops drasticaly.....it will cost you 5k

to KNOW that it will be ok.......drain the block water and manifold water into into the bilge......and let that water drain out the bilge hole.
you never just let oil and other fluids drain into the bilge.....these things are usually sucked out with proper equipment. but water from the block and manifolds is fine....its just water.

block water does not freeze the second the temp hits 32 deg....but....a period of a few hours of 31 deg can cause damage in weaker parts.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

^^^Good advice. The 3.0 is very easy to drain, adding probably just 10-15 min to your late season end of day if that. Do that as well as lower the rear unit to the ground inside the garage and you should be good. Don't chance a block full of water to even near freezing temps. That one power failure when you are away or real cold snap you didn't expect will have you crying in your empty wallet.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to put a light bulb in my engine compartment with the cover closed in my sea ray until I winterized it in November or so. I also had a full cover to help hold in the heat. No garage. I was in the same kind of deal where it was rare to get freezing weather until December or so, and used my boat until november. We do get freezing temps at time though in october and november. As oops said though, you gotta keep an eye on the electricity/bulb so you aren't left in a lurch. Oh ya, as has already been said, I also drained all the water, (except the fresh-water system with antifreeze) after each outing and left the drains open. I found if I lowered the the drive and went back a couple of hours later and cycled it up and down again I got more water to drain out of it. Sometimes I really miss that boat, but I was too far away from any big enough water to use it enough.

bick

Seaman Apprentice

hi....you are under sever misconceptions with this statement.....let me try and help...

You misunderstood... he was asking about what to do between outings in cold weather BEFORE actually winterizing it.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

The block will not freeze solid if the temperature drops to 32F unless the temp stays there for a long period of time. If the boat is in your garage and the temp seldom drops to 32F, I wouldn't worry so much about it freezing the block. When I'd start worrying is when the temp fals to the mid 20's inside your garage. Typically an attached garage will stay warmer than a detached garage due to the radiational heating from the home. During times on sustained 20's where I live, the temperature in the garage never fell below 38F.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The block will not freeze solid if the temperature drops to 32F unless the temp stays there for a long period of time. If the boat is in your garage and the temp seldom drops to 32F, I wouldn't worry so much about it freezing the block. When I'd start worrying is when the temp fals to the mid 20's inside your garage. Typically an attached garage will stay warmer than a detached garage due to the radiational heating from the home. During times on sustained 20's where I live, the temperature in the garage never fell below 38F.

Until someone accidentally leaves the garage door open for the night, and it dips to 29 degrees.

Vees Bee

Recruit

I have a 3.0 merc too and want to clarify that are there are only two drain plugs? Also which large hose should I also remove? The one at the front of the motor near the top? I looks like 1 and 1/2 or 2" rubber.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 3.0 merc too and want to clarify that are there are only two drain plugs? Also which large hose should I also remove? The one at the front of the motor near the top? I looks like 1 and 1/2 or 2" rubber.

Ayuh,... 2 plugs, 'n the Bottom of the big hose...