Stuck lower unit - Suzi DF25 - Solved

Luv2q

Cadet
Note: I found similar threads in the 'Rude and Merc forums but none on the Yam/Suz forum. Thought it might be helpful.

Problem: Couldn't get the lower unit to drop on my DF 25 so I could change the impeller. Per the manual, I had disconnected the shift rod plus removed the 6 bolts under the cav. plate. Still no luck.

Solution: My tugging & wiggling opened a very tiny crack - enough to see daylight through. Using plastic toilet shims as wedges, I tapped around the perimeter until it opened a little wider. Then using (on the advice of a Suzi wrench) a thin-bladed screwdriver as a little more solid wedge, I worked my way around until it dropped. (Suggestion here: Leave a couple of bolts loosely in place so that, when the gearcase drops, it has something to catch it.)

Seems like there are two places - on this motor - that can get stuck: The drive shaft splines and/or the alignment dowels where the gearcase mates to the driveshaft housing. Use some water-resistant grease on the splines, anti-sieze on the dowels and the 6 mounting bolts.

What you do NOT want your impeller to look like:

Attachments

• Impeller2.jpg
    Impeller2.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0