does anti freeze run out of the outdrive?

ratbag

Cadet
hi i just finished winterizing my 2000 v/p 5.7 gsi after i drained the water from the manifold and block i put 2 gallons of anti freeze down the hoses to the manifold, block and the large hose to the water pump. i turned the engine on for about 30 seconds to mix it up. on my old omc when i did this i'd have anti freeze come out the outdrive. on the vovlo nothing came out the drive no water or anti freeze. is this normal? thanks, bob

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: does anti freeze run out of the outdrive?

hi i just finished winterizing my 2000 v/p 5.7 gsi after i drained the water from the manifold and block i put 2 gallons of anti freeze down the hoses to the manifold, block and the large hose to the water pump. i turned the engine on for about 30 seconds to mix it up. on my old omc when i did this i'd have anti freeze come out the outdrive. on the vovlo nothing came out the drive no water or anti freeze. is this normal? thanks, bob

Can't tell you if this is normal, as what you did is not the normal procedure. A good number of us on this site just drain the water out, and call it a day (no anti-freeze used). Some on here use anti-freeze, but I wouldn't consider it advisable to run the engine, as you would be running it with out a constant supply of water to keep the impeller happy. In short, I would replace your impeller next spring Bob... ;)

tpenfield

Staff member

The V/P has a sea water pump attached to the engine ?

It won't let liquid back down to the outdrive. so, no nothing would come out.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't run the motor without water hooked up.....you will damage the pump impeller. If you drained it and put antifreeze in it, what were you mixing up? 2 gallons doesn't seem like enough to fill it....even a 4 cylinder 140 hp requires 9 qts. I just did my 454 and poured almost 5 gallons in it to fill the block and exhaust manifolds. This may be the reason you don't see anything coming out....it's not full. I wouldn't expect to see water coming out if you drained it.

1980Coronado

The V/P has a sea water pump attached to the engine ?

It won't let liquid back down to the outdrive. so, no nothing would come out.

So where does the exhaust and water exit?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

After filling my manifolds I had anti-freeze come out the rear of the boat.

1980Coronado

After filling my manifolds I had anti-freeze come out the rear of the boat.

That doesn't mean the block is full, it just means it ran out the exhaust manifold through the outdrive. If the thermostat was closed the block may not be full.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

That doesn't mean the block is full, it just means it ran out the exhaust manifold through the outdrive. If the thermostat was closed the block may not be full.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
Your right. Seprately I removed the thermostat housing and poured the anti freeze directly into the block, while replacing the thermostat at that time.

bblst

Cadet

I have a question about winterizing an SX drive. I removed the drain plug on the side of the drive and no water came out. I looked in the drain hole and there seems to be what looks like a set screw with a slot in it. Does anyone know if this need to be removed to drain or could it be gunk clogging the hole? Thanks for the help. James

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

sbc is about 3.5 gallons for block and manifolds. 3 gallons just for the block and heads and a heat exchanger. so 2 gallons is not enought.

if your putting AF in the block and hoses, did you pull the impeller to drain the seawater supply line as well?

running the engine for 30 seconds without water connected, you most likely toasted the impeller.

Maclin

Admiral

ratbag,

The raw water pump is what expels spent cooling water out the exhaust. If no water is coming into it then none will be pumped out.