help with tanaka 3.0 grease/gear oil change

dirtrider5001

Recruit
i read the manual online and understand how to change the gear oil. what confuses me is that they talk also about changing the grease. They say to drain to remove the propeller and shear pin, remove gear housing cover. Drain grease, reinstall cover and then to fill as descibed in lubrication section. The problem is in the lubrication section they say nothing about grease only about the oil. Also in the lubrication section they simply say that to change the OIL one simply has to remove the oil fill/drain and fill untill full. VERY CONFUSING. Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: help with tanaka 3.0 grease/gear oil change

What is a Tanaka 3.0 ?

robert graham

Admiral

i read the manual online and understand how to change the gear oil. what confuses me is that they talk also about changing the grease. They say to drain to remove the propeller and shear pin, remove gear housing cover. Drain grease, reinstall cover and then to fill as descibed in lubrication section. The problem is in the lubrication section they say nothing about grease only about the oil. Also in the lubrication section they simply say that to change the OIL one simply has to remove the oil fill/drain and fill untill full. VERY CONFUSING. Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

They're referring to the lower unit oil as "grease", but rest assured, it's just standard "marine lower unit oil". I lay my Tanaka 3HP on the workbench, remove prop, shear pin, gear housing cover(2 hex bolts), lean the motor over to "pour" the old oil out(don't lose that little thrust washer on the front of the prop shaft), flush gear housing with WD-40 or similar to remove any water, dirt, contamination, blow it out with air hose, pour in new oil up to almost full(to leave room for gears and prop shaft replacement without overflowing), replace gear housing. If your gasket is torn up, clean surfaces good and use a silicone rubber gasket compound to replace it, works fine! Good Luck!:)

robert graham

Admiral

What is a Tanaka 3.0 ?
It's one of those Tanaka made/ Gamefisher/Sears-Roebuck outboards they quit selling several years ago because of "their failure to meet air pollution requirements for USA"....darn good little motors!:facepalm:

dirtrider5001

Recruit

ok so then that "drain bolt" can be used to drain the oil as well then? its probably just not the best way to do it im guessing. Well thank you soo much for your help. This engine was sitting for probably 5 years before i got it. I cleaned out the carb, replaced fuel lines/filter and bam it runs sooo good. Such a simplistic engine

robert graham

Admiral

That little "drain bolt" is not much use for draining and refilling, but you can give it a try. These are good, simple, dependable, light motors. I've had one on my Aluminum canoe since 1983. Great for shallow water fishing, swamps, creeks with stumps, sandbars, oyster beds, etc. If you run it wide open all day, you Might burn a gallon of gas!;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am going to move this over to the outboard forum, it's obviously not an IO.

M

mrcrabs

I have one but not much use for it so I really don't know much about it or even if there is a vent screw which would really help the drain and fill process...Robert is there a vent screw?,

I used a small eye droper to fill mine, to drain it I just let it set at the right angle to drip away.

robert graham

Admiral

No vent screw, just a small hex drain/fill screw, never used it, might take a while for it to drain down, then refill with an eyedropper? I've always just removed that prop shaft/seal cover, inspect gears and bearings, clean it out, refill with fresh oil, re-install cover with silicone gasket compound. But you can do it either way, just whatever suits you.:)

M

mrcrabs

Well the eye dropper just seemed the easiest way for me at the time and it had no water intrusion so no chance I was going to pull anything apart, I have a nice running old 3.TOB with a ugly shroud but I don't intend to keep it unless I get the itch for a square back canoe. I think that would be fun for my grandson but old Crabs here is getting a new knee Wednesday and I doubt I will ever be able to set in one, who knows, maybe I will get a new attituded with the new knee...LOL

PS I have a big eye dropper and it didn't take long to fill it.

robert graham

Admiral

If you ever want to get rid of that motor, let me know, I'd love to have it! It's just the trick for my square back canoe! Good luck with your new knee!:)