Intermittent miss 1984 115

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an intermittent miss on all three of the cylinders coming off my lower switch box (2,4,6). While hooked up to an inductive timing light there is a stutter of sorts on all three. I ordered a CDI dva adapter and it is scheduled to be delivered later this week, but I thought I would throw this out there to see if I can get some idea from the experts on what it might be.

Thanks

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Intermittent miss 1984 115

Clean and tighten your grounds, but it sounds like one of your switch boxes is bad. It would be unusual for your trigger to be bad only on 246.

I replaced the stator about 3 years ago because the wire insulation was bad. I just replaced my switch boxes because they went out and my trigger for good measure since it was also 27 years old and the insulation looked deteriorated. Runs great now.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Intermittent miss 1984 115

Can you see a spark failure cranking? Or measure cranking RPM with an inductive tach?

A bad Bias on the odd cyls switchbox can cause a spark lose on the even box. The trick is to test and PROVE which is the problem.

If you can prove a spark lose cranking, disconnect the Bias wire linking the boxes and retest, if steady sparks return, that proves a problem developing in the odd switchbox.