Do I have to remove the hing pins and gimble housing to replace my bellows?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Do I have to remove the hing pins and gimble housing to replace my bellows?

And what are you working on?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have to remove the hinge pins and the bellhousing to change the bellows. Not the gimbal housing.

attachment.php

tpenfield

Staff member

The bell housing should come off so that you can get good access to the mounting surface for the bellows on the gimbal housing.

Otherwise, it would be nearly impossible and certainly not practical.

Bondo

Staff member

Do I have to remove the hing pins and gimble housing to replace my bellows?

Yes....

haulnazz15

Captain

Why does he have to remove the gimbal housing just to change a bellows?

Might as well replace the transom seal while you're there. :)

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why does he have to remove the gimbal housing just to change a bellows?

I do know it can be done. I changed the senders and the bellows once on an older MR without removing the pins. Don't know if I'll ever do it again. Was a true test of manual dexterity for me. There were lots of "colorful metephores" flying around that day and wife wouldn't let the kids outside... LOL

Transom seal ?????? That's a whole different chapter and major surgery.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You guys must be reading something that I don't see, because you DO NOT have to remove the GIMBAL HOUSING just to change the bellows.

Bondo

Staff member

You guys must be reading something that I don't see, because you DO NOT have to remove the GIMBAL HOUSING just to change the bellows.

Ahh, ooops,... In a hurry earlier, 'n read bellhousing, even though it said gimbel housing....
I think the hing pins threw me...

Sorry all...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

you guys must be reading something that i don't see, because you do not have to remove the gimbal housing just to change the bellows.

why are you shouting don? Don't you now most people on this forum are deaf!!! :d :d :d

Bondo

Staff member

why are you shouting don? Don't you now most people on this forum are deaf!!! :d :d :d

What,...???...???

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

huh? what? who's that there? :rolleyes:

You don't have to remove the hinge pins to do a bellows job. pull the inner spring out of the old bellows pull it out, pull spring from new bellows fold it in half lengthwise push through the bell housing clamp it on gimbal housing, fit to bell housing side (never said what drive it was [different tricks for each model]) re-install spring.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

??????????????????????

achris

Ah, that went well!!! :facepalm:

It should have been in all capitals and said "Why are you shouting don? Don't you know most people on this forum are deaf!!!" and then had 3 smiley faces after it.... I guess the forum software can't handle something as complex as all upper case...

svxtech, I guess you could change bellows like that, but why? Just as easy to pull the Bell housing off and just give yourself that much extra 'wriggle room'....

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah, that went well!!! :facepalm:

It should have been in all capitals and said "Why are you shouting don? Don't you know most people on this forum are deaf!!!" and then had 3 smiley faces after it.... I guess the forum software can't handle something as complex as all upper case...

svxtech, I guess you could change bellows like that, but why? Just as easy to pull the Bell housing off and just give yourself that much extra 'wriggle room'....

I find it easier, just figured I would share the trick. Especially if you're in salt water with corrosion and a used pin tool, if you round off the heads you are in for a treat, not to mention having to remove the water tube (and depending on model the reserve oil line) with the plastic fitting that breaks- as it so often does. The less you have to mess with the better. Again JMO :)

achris

I find it easier, just figured I would share the trick. Especially if you're in salt water with corrosion and a used pin tool, if you round off the heads you are in for a treat, not to mention having to remove the water tube (and depending on model the reserve oil line) with the plastic fitting that breaks- as it so often does. The less you have to mess with the better. Again JMO :)

Fair cop... I've never had one of the fittings break... how difficult is it to break them?

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fair cop... I've never had one of the fittings break... how difficult is it to break them?
The fitting for the remote oil line on a gen 2/bravo gimbal housing? I have a few under my belt :rolleyes:. Never broke the water tube fitting...yet :D