getting anti freeze in block

richocki

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Volvo Penta 4.3GL_A. I am winterizing it and have drained the block using the drain/flush hose connection. I drained the manifolds and pulled various hoses just to see if any more water would drain out. I know some say air does not freeze but the winters in New England are long and I want some piece of mind about my winterized engine... I want to pour anti freeze in different hoses to protect the different components. my questions:
1. How do I get anti freeze in the engine block?
2. Should I pull the thermostat?
3. Should I take out the raw water pump impeller?

one other non related question---- I am pretty sure I have a 160deg thermostat but today while warming my engine in preparation to change the oil the temp never went above 120deg. I was on muffs. Is that normal or am I looking at a bad thermostat or temp gauge?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Re: getting anti freeze in block

After draining my block and manifold water, I pulled the thermostat housing and poured AF directly into the block until full. I also changed the thermostat at the same time. Then filled the hoses feeding the manifolds and water pump until AF came out the rear exaust outside the boat. Also removed for the winter the rubber impeller.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am winterizing it and have drained the block using the drain/flush hose connection.
It's a block flushing hose, NOT a drain hose.
I would strongly suggest you disconnect the flush hose from the engine block (both sides), and use a wire to clean the hole out. You have no way of knowing if both sides drained or not with that setup.
PS, that flushing hose was only used on the A models, and was changed to a different type system for the B and newer.

richocki

Seaman Apprentice

I poured AF in the hose that goes to the circulation pump until it came out the drain/flush hose. I figure if it comes out the drain hose there is AF in the block. I then did as you did Brich1260 and added AF to the manifolds. I also pulled the intake hose (from out drive to power steering cooler) and poured AF down the hose until it came out the intake ports on the out drive and then I poured AF in to the cooler until it over flowed. I figure that would get AF in to the raw water pump. Pulling the hose off the raw water pump verified that.

The owners manual does mention the drain/flush hose and recommends hooking up a fresh water supply to it and flush the engine block with out the engine running and then draining the water out using that same hose. I see your concern that one side may be clogged and I will look into that.