Towing Help

jimmer12

Recruit
I am looking for the right 4 runner to buy and I need some advice...

I have a 17' IO which I believe (not 100%) to have a gross weight of about 3200 lbs. I am looking to find the right vehicle to tow it. I have narrowed in on the 4Runner and my experience tells me that the V8 is the best option. However, I am struggling to find a V8 in my price range. My understanding is that the V6 has a tow capacity of 5000 and, short of a trannny cooler, seems to do a fine job of towing up to the capacity. Considering I will likely not ever own a boat larger than a 21-23' and based on the thread link below, I am thinking I can get away with a V6 model and install the cooler to protect my investment?

4x4 is a must obviously...

Do you guys have any opinions on this?

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Towing Help

You don't include where you will be towing (level-lot of hills).The v6 will work for you,but look ahead. If there is something bigger in the future (boat), buy your tow vehicle for that and you won't be looking later.If you are going to be towing long trips and hilly terrain i would make sure i had a tranny cooler.You can have an aftermarket one installed.When you get to the 21-23ft range you will be getting close if not over. you have to consider the trailer weight in the package.

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to own a 17.5 foot bowrider a few years back and towed it with a V6 Pathfinder. I never had any issues with being able to pull away from a traffic light or merge onto the freeway. Going up hills was a breeze as well with power to spare. You should be just fine with a V6 4runner, it will do the job just fine. A bigger concern would be stopping, so trailer brakes of some sort would be a must for something weighing 3000 lbs+.

jimmer12

Recruit

So Thalasso, it sounds like you are leaning more towards the V8?

I will be towing the boat mainly in OH, KY, IN, and TN.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Are you looking at the 3rd (96-02) gen only? My 03 v8 has a towing capacity of 7000. The newer ones have less... The v6 will be fine. My dads v6 2008 has a capacity of 7300. You're talking to the right guy. Between me and my dad we've had 13 and all go to 300000+ miles.

jimmer12

Recruit

Are you looking at the 3rd (96-02) gen only? My 03 v8 has a towing capacity of 7000. The newer ones have less... The v6 will be fine. My dads v6 2008 has a capacity of 7300. You're talking to the right guy. Between me and my dad we've had 13 and all go to 300000+ miles.

I'm currently looking at an 07 V8 with 68K miles for $24000. I'd like to be closer to $20,000 and less miles. From what I've read it would be in my best interest to get a 2005+ b/c of the vvt-i engine...

I've also found that the tow rating on the v6 is 5000 and the v8 is 7000

agree - disagree?

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it's not the same situation... but, I towed a 5000lb trailer from Maine to So. California to Oregon with a GMC safari with a V6 and had NO problems. You should have no problems with the V6 4runner and will get better gas mileage, for what that's worth.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I know it's not the same situation... but, I towed a 5000lb trailer from Maine to So. California to Oregon with a GMC safari with a V6 and had NO problems. You should have no problems with the V6 4runner and will get better gas mileage, for what that's worth.

1. You will have no problem with the v6.
2. You may not get better gas mileage. The v8 will stay at lower RPMs under higher stress. Say the v6 is pulling at 4000 when the v8 would only be pulling at 2000.

You should be able to find an 05+ for closer to 20. Probably close to 05... and with 50+ miles on it. Are you looking at the limited (v8 only) sport or sr5? or you don't care about the fancy stuff?

The v8 comes in 4x4 only, so it's a PITA when it comes to fuel economy. I get about 19 MPGs on average and dad gets 22 with his 08 v6.

My old 02 with 350,000 miles was pulling strong on 5 cyls and with some axle damage form getting rear ended HARD.

bigdee

Commander

You will be more satisfied if you match the tow vehicle with the load. A V6 should be just fine....there is no good reason to overkill,especially for occasional and recreational use.

Thalasso

Commander

Yes a v8.Had 6 cly's. They don't get much better fuel milage, considering. I wouldn't have anything other then a v8. The v8's get decent mileage and don't work as hard.

cribber

Lieutenant

Carmax 4Runner

Here is a 2005 4Runner at Carmax in Orlando for $18K with 82K miles Keep looking for what you want to get... it's out there

mklawz

Cadet

I own an '01 V6 4Runner SR5 and pull a '96 Sea Ray 175 (dry weight 2300# with single axle steel trailer) reasonably well. Im estimating Im about 3000# total. I tow with OD off and do fine overall. My biggest concern is braking power. My trailer doesn't have brakes, and 4Runners are said to have under-powered breaks to begin with. And I have to agree with that.

I already have 2 foot-itis and feel I need a bigger rig first. But you should be fine with the V6 for now.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Purchase a Ford F-150 and be done with it......problem solved.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I own an '01 V6 4Runner SR5 and pull a '96 Sea Ray 175 (dry weight 2300# with single axle steel trailer) reasonably well. Im estimating Im about 3000# total. I tow with OD off and do fine overall. My biggest concern is braking power. My trailer doesn't have brakes, and 4Runners are said to have under-powered breaks to begin with. And I have to agree with that.

I already have 2 foot-itis and feel I need a bigger rig first. But you should be fine with the V6 for now.

I would agree, 4runner brakes were slacking until '05. Then they really stepped up their game. HUGE difference between 01 and 05. Totally different truck.
I'm relatively certain the v6 actually has a higher tow rating.. 7300 #s. At least, they did in 03. I'm pretty sure the 05 and up does too. IDK why...

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would agree, 4runner brakes were slacking until '05. Then they really stepped up their game. HUGE difference between 01 and 05. Totally different truck.
I'm relatively certain the v6 actually has a higher tow rating.. 7300 #s. At least, they did in 03. I'm pretty sure the 05 and up does too. IDK why...

What happened in '05 as I believed the only major overhaul happened in 03/04? I read it got a 5speed auto that year.
Everything I've seen is a V6 is rated to 5,000 lbs and a V8 to 7,000 and highest is a V8 2wd model.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

V8 2wd? I didn't think that they made that. I thought the only v8 was the limited and it was 4x4 only...?
They introduced the vvt-i engine and made some body adjustments in 05 too, but its the same 4th gen frame

backyardhockey2

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a 2004 V8 and pull a boat a little bigger than yours with a steel trailer. Besides the built in tranny cooler the V8 also has an oil cooler and the receiver is also built into the frame better than just a bolt on. The V8 limited might also have bigger brakes. Not sure about that. I am assuming you have trailer brakes BTW. I would go V8.

Having said that I'm not sur about a 22 footer or anything like that. Runner has a short wheel base and yes, I agree with others that the brakes could be better.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I've got a 2004 V8 and pull a boat a little bigger than yours with a steel trailer. Besides the built in tranny cooler the V8 also has an oil cooler and the receiver is also built into the frame better than just a bolt on. The V8 limited might also have bigger brakes. Not sure about that. I am assuming you have trailer brakes BTW. I would go V8.

Having said that I'm not sur about a 22 footer or anything like that. Runner has a short wheel base and yes, I agree with others that the brakes could be better.

The brakes on my v8 are really sub par. That being said, towing a 6000 pound load on a dualie with 4 disc brakes.... really not bad.

jkust

Rear Admiral

The thing about the V8 vs the V6 decision has less to do with tow capacity when you are so far under with your mentioned weight in my experience. I have a pretty beefy V8 in my tow rig suv. It is a newer SUV with a 5.3 liter with decent torque. Middle of the road vs the competition like say a Hemi. I tow well under the tow capacity being only 4000lbs (my sig boat) and there are times, I want more power in really difficult traffic situations. The dead stop, from a side road, left turn over a lane of traffic, turn on a holiday weekend onto a major highway where you only have a small space to get onto the road. You will appreciate the v8 vs the v6. To me it is like having 4wd vs 2wd where you don't 'need' it often but when you do, you are really glad you got it. If i'm getting any vehicle and especially a purpose driven vehicle, I'm getting everything they offered and never looking to just get by. I'll take overkill everytime. The few extra thousand dollars in the bank isn't noticed anyway.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

have a pretty beefy V8 in my tow rig suv. It is a newer SUV with a 5.3 liter with decent torque. QUOTE]

The other argument is that with the more robust V6's on the market and limited towing mileage vs commuting/ daily driving, many V6's will outperform a V8 overall and that the V8 is overkill for many. (Also consider a V8 toyota has a a timing belt rather a chain for the V6).