Fuel Tank For Outboard

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Evening all.

Just a question regarding fuel tank placement for a 14ft boat. At the moment, im using a garden variety tank with the valve on the top, and a 2m long hose with a primer bulb on it which sits under the transom well.

I was thinking of relocating my fuel tanks (twin 20L) to under the bow to add some more weight to the front of the boat and help it as it sits stern down in the water and any bit of weight management cant be a bad thing.

Would i have fuel supply issues if i made a run of fuel line from the bow to the stern? Would i/should i put a few priming bulbs at intervals along the run and will it affect fuel supply to the motor?

Thanks

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel Tank For Outboard

Should be fine, distance isn't an issue it is lift that will cause a problem, I had a 9.5 years ago with the tank in frint of the baot and it ran fine once it was primed.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

on a 14' boat, I think the preferred place is amidships. No problem with the run (actually, it's the same hose). If you go a longer route, don't add bulbs.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

We've always run the 14 foot tinnies with the tank as far up as possible and never had any problems. I wouldn't do it any other way with just 1 person on board.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you make any extensive changes that would be hard to reverse, I would put a portable tank in the front and then extend the fule hose as required to reach the outboard. The go out for an extended test run including an extended run at top speed.

My concern is that the extended length of hose could be greater than what the fuel pump can handle when it needs to draw fuel from that extended length of hose. I'm simply speculating here, maybe this would never be an issue with the amount of house you'd need to add, but personally I'd want to know for sure before making any fruther changes.

Grouse

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The fuel pump only has to lift the fuel from the bottom of the boat up to the engine.

Used to run a 16' with the fuel tank at the VERY front under the bow deck. Had a 20' fuel line.

Ran the boat that way for years, with a 15 hp motor.

Fuel delivery was never a problem.

Extend the hose and put it where you want it.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

You won't have any problems with fuel supply...as long as you remember to open the cap vent.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I would keep the primer bulb near the tank.... easier to push fuel than pull air when priming