Time to register my project boat

Freeboatman

Recruit
I have a 23 foot project boat and trailer that I found a year ago. I've worked to get it ready for the ocean, now can register when It had no tags or any sort of I'd nor paper work.. Is there a way for me to get a new title for my boat???

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Time to register my project boat

you should have been asking this question a year ago..... go to your local state agency and start there.... you may well have a difficult road ahead

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

To the state, there is little distinction between "Found" and "Stolen". Unless you have something that shows that you had the legal right to take what was once someone else's property, even though it was apparently abandoned if I read it correctly, it falls into the "Stolen" category.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why would you buy a boat with no paper work on it?

Freeboatman

Recruit

Why would you buy a boat with no paper work on it?
:edit: When I say "found" it's just that you know abandon on my family huntin land, under stand now! I posted ads in local paper all this time to no reply.No motor , some crack , keys left in,two holes in hull, 1st start just to see if I could fix (DIY) and painted now before I buy a motor lookin for the right info. Didn't think it would make the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Ok, now that the mods cleaned up your fit.... a little more "thank you" and a little less profanity would be nice..... NOBODY said anything to warrant such a tantrum.

IF you actually want help then consider taking the advice above and report back on your findings.... ALSO consider posting your location because laws vary across the country and world.

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you just contact the proper boat registration people in your state or country, wherever that is. We don't know all the laws pertinent to your situation. You aren't making friends with your attitude. Just some neighborly advice - OK?

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, now calm your butt down.... a little more "thank you" and a little less profanity..... NOBODY said anything to warrant such a tantrum.

Agreed...you came to us with this, we didn't seek you out to bash you. If you went through all the trouble to post ads in the local paper, how much easier would it have been to take Hull Identification Number to the local authorities to see if this wasn't a stolen, stripped, and dumped boat on your property. Now you have a year of work and money invested in something you really don't have any legal right to at the moment. Step one should've been to get the title issue resolved first then start work. So thanks for stopping by and good luck.

John_S

Rear Admiral

In some states, you can register the trailer as "home built", but unlikely to be able to go the same route on the boat. I would think a HIN search will turn up the last registered owner. Also, does it have registration and state id numbers on hull? It may still turn out OK, but it will probably take a bit of time.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tough road ahead, I built my boat and it was easy to get it inspected and a HIN. When the officer was there, I asked him what prevented people from registering any old boat as a homemade. He said if there's any question in his mind, he asks for reciepts on the build (I had mine on hand as the paperwork stated, but he didn't ask to see any). If you can show reciepts for enough work, it might qualify. Not sure where that line is though.

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would have asked this prior to doing any work. Didn't happed so now it's really not an option. As others have stated don't get upset with the answers or lack of answers. You put yourself in this spot.
I would call the DMV/license office or an attorney. Around here you have to place an ad in at least two newspapers for 14 days, you have to do a legal title search. All this has to be done with some other stuff. Even though it was found on hunting land doesn't make it yours. There is no finders keepers law.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

didnt i read somewhere that there is a loophole.....you register the hull in new jersey???

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope your not from TX. This has got to be the most difficult state there is for boat and motor titles and registration.

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In Texas no Title = Big trouble I found that out the hard way. One way you go it look at companies that will buy it from you and get a title and resell it back to you.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe, you should of thought of this before you started sinking time and money in it.
BUTT, anyway, good luck and hope it all works out for you.
Welcome to iboats.