to repair fibreglass or not to fibreglass, what does it really cost.

marine11

Seaman Apprentice
I have discovered that i need new floor and maybe stringers, i will post some pics up tonight of stringers, as it seems that i can see exposed wood, that hasn't been fibreglassed properly.

anyway, i have been quoted $2500 for a new floor, and $2000 for stringers, and about $3500 for the transom if that is gone also by arnolds fibreglassing a week to do per job, i also rang Holloways which have been in the Jeff Websters magazine a few times, i was quoted $1200 on stringers, $800 on floor and about $2000 for the transom, taking a couple of days per job, i dont know why the big price difference, but i am familiar with the saying you get what you pay for.

has anyone used any of these glassing repairers before, if so, what is quality and customer service like.

what is a realistic price for these jobs.

i want to keep the boat as the caribbean crestcutter's are my favourite boat, and i am tidying her up.

i guess BOAT does stand for Bring Out Another Thousand.

oh no what have i got myself into.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: to repair fibreglass or not to fibreglass, what does it really cost.

DIY -- 2500 assumin gthe boat is < 20 ft.

I did my floor for < 500 and glassed both sides and gelcoated and used ACX.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

PS have a mod move this to the proper forum

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

+1 for DIY, much cheaper and plenty of info in the forum to keep you on the right path.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

and for all you know, they'll throw a nice new shiny deck over rotted stringers... and then in 3 years youll step through the deck.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and for all you know, they'll throw a nice new shiny deck over rotted stringers... and then in 3 years youll step through the deck.

+1 Happened to me.....twice. Third time I did it myself. Went back with all composite materials so it will never rot. Total for a 22' runabout was $1500. Easy but time consuming project. However, I know it was done right and will never need replacing.

Ben

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

+1 Happened to me.....twice. Third time I did it myself. Went back with all composite materials so it will never rot. Total for a 22' runabout was $1500. Easy but time consuming project. However, I know it was done right and will never need replacing.

Ben

Ben, what composite did you use? That is ungodly cheap. I looked into sea cast for my boat and it was over 1000 bucks for the transom alone.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Check out Coosa as alternate to wood. It is a fiberglass composite.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ben, what composite did you use? That is ungodly cheap. I looked into sea cast for my boat and it was over 1000 bucks for the transom alone.

Zak,

I used NidaBond. It is essentially the same thing as Sea Cast but less expensive. Also, I did not have to replace the transom. I used Coosa Bluewater board for my decking with a standard fiberglass layup. I will never own a boat with wood in it again.

Ben

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I have discovered that i need new floor and maybe stringers, i will post some pics up tonight of stringers, as it seems that i can see exposed wood, that hasn't been fibreglassed properly.

anyway, i have been quoted $2500 for a new floor, and $2000 for stringers, and about $3500 for the transom if that is gone also by arnolds fibreglassing a week to do per job, i also rang Holloways which have been in the Jeff Websters magazine a few times, i was quoted $1200 on stringers, $800 on floor and about $2000 for the transom, taking a couple of days per job, i dont know why the big price difference, but i am familiar with the saying you get what you pay for.

has anyone used any of these glassing repairers before, if so, what is quality and customer service like.

i want to keep the boat as the caribbean crestcutter's are my favourite boat, and i am tidying her up.

65 hundred for a transom stringer deck job is about right...

but watch out here.......you need to do it all at once...or just transom first......then deck and stringers......the deck and stringers will go togeather.....so....4500 for the stringer job.

if you do it your self.......we can and will help.

you need to post your location, as 99% of us have never heard of those shops.

if you go pro.....you must ask questions......like EXACTLY how are they going to fix them.....what materials are they going to use? and can you see the pictures of the work in progress......each step, every day.

marine11

Seaman Apprentice
Fiberglass repairs prices, what is reasonable

Fiberglass repairs prices, what is reasonable

anyway, i have been quoted $2500 for a new floor, and $2000 for stringers, and about $3500 for the transom if that is gone also, by arnolds fibreglassing, i also rang Holloways which have been featared in the Jeff Websters magazine a few times however it has been taken over by a different shipwright, i was quoted $1200 on stringers, $1200 on floor and about $2000 for the transom, taking a couple of days per job, i dont know why the big price difference, but i am familiar with the saying you get what you pay for.

I am in Brisbane australia

i dont have the time to do it myself

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: Fibreglass repairs prices, what is reasonable

A description and pictures of the boat would help, the price might be fair on a 30 footer...but outrageous on a 15 footer, more info would get you a better answer

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I believe a Caribbean Crestcutter is approx. 18-20 ft. Cabin Cruiser type boat. Correct? Is she an Inboard or Outboard powered model? Either way, I truly believe that a $4-8 k price range is pretty close to correct. Here in the states, I would think $90 an hour would be a common rate and for Deck, Stringers and Transom on a boat of this sized and style 60- 80 hours should take care of it. That would bring the cost to $5400- $7200. Sooooo..... I think the price is pretty close. BUT.... here in the states we always say that most of the time it is NOT worth paying a PRO to restore and old boat unless you have strong sentimental attachment. The other problem is, you never know what you're going to get. If you do it yourself you know it will be done with quality materials and with time and effort it can be done, in most cases, better than it was from the factory. But if you don't have the time or willingness to do it, then you will have to make the call. I have no idea if either of these people are quality restoration companies or not. But I highly recommend you get references and check them out thoroughly before laying down any cash and get EVERYTHING in writing and contracts in place to protect yourself as much as possible

marine11

Seaman Apprentice

A description and pictures of the boat would help, the price might be fair on a 30 footer...but outrageous on a 15 footer, more info would get you a better answer

Sorry,

it is on a 5.3metre, 17.4ft Caribbean Crestcutter, i dont have any pics, it only a half cabin, its not a 30 footer.

i have ppl on austrailian forums saying that the $1200 quoted for the stringers and $1200 for the deck/floor is very low and to stay clear as it will be a dodgy job. and was told the $4000 was more realistic.

marine11

Seaman Apprentice

woodonglass,

thanks for that, i dont have the time or knowledge to do it myself.

at least if i get pics of the build that would suffice, as they expensive quote is of pics of build from start to finish and put on a CD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Most of the guys on here don't have a Clue on how to repair their boats. But they come on here, and with the help of all the experienced people on here they get it done and usually with extremely good results. It does take time. Heck I've been working on mine for 2 years but I'm old!!!! You CAN do it if you want, but Time will be an issue. BUT... your costs would be less than 1/2 of what you are going to be charged. If you have some friends to help, you could do this project. You would have plenty of help from all the guys here on the forum.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree completely with WOG. Cost wise the higher quote you got is in line IMO; as far as the less expensive quote, like you said, "you get what you pay for" and this is the kind of job you only want to deal with once :) If the other people are willing to document the repairs, you're covered and they sound like a quality center. I can guarantee that a fly-by-night operation would NOT be willing to provide the same documentation...

That being said, if you're willing to spend some time and get your hands dirty (and sticky :) ) there is no shortage of help here to walk you through the process. However,there is a value for your time and sometimes it just isn't possible to DIY..

Good luck!
Keep us posted!

~BWT

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Threads merged.

i have ppl on austrailian forums saying that the $1200 quoted for the stringers and $1200 for the deck/floor is very low and to stay clear as it will be a dodgy job. and was told the $4000 was more realistic.

I would agree with that.

alligatorgars

Seaman Apprentice

Pictures?

benjh1028 You replaced the stringers and deck with composite but left the wood transom in place?