8 port wired router?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
has anyone ever heard of the brand?

HotBrick VPN 800/2 8-Port 10/100 Wired Router (VPN8002) Rack Mount

I currently run a wired network with 6 stations. I've been using a 4 port Lynksys router with an AirLink 4 port switch to accomodate all the stations.

Friday nite I had an internet failure and Comcast came out and diagnosed a bad switch. So now it is out of the system and several of the stations are not connected.

My options are to just replace the switch, which is cheap enough, or eliminate one piece of hardware and go to an 8 port router.

Prices really seem to vary considerably and ebay has a lot of used ones which I am hesitant to try. The one I listed above is for sale for $90 (new) with shipping and is advertised at valued to $600.00. I've seen several Cisco units well over $400. If this is valid, it might be the way to go as opposed to buying a cheapy router.

And no, I do not want to go to wireless.

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: 8 port wired router?

When I was in IT, network equipment either worked prefectly - or it failed fompletely, so I would not have a problem, buying used equipment off ebay. It was probably just pulled out, to upgrade to something else.

Bestbuy has a Cisco 8 port for $279, which is really just a ripoff, IMO, for a cheap piece of consumer electronics.

I'd spend $90 for something similar to what you are looking at..

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks all. I passed on the one I listed and grabbed a used, wired Netgear 8 port router for $29.95 shipped. If it doesn't work, I won't lose much.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The $29.95 (shipped) netgear 8 port router that I got off ebay works flawlessly. Now I have one less piece of hardware in the loop. By going to the 8 port, I was able to eliminate the switch.