Power Steering

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2005 Volvo Penta 4.3 liter with sx drive. I see no power steering leaks at all, but my power steering fluid goes low from time to time.

Any ideas?

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Power Steering

Where is the power steering cooler? Would it show an external leak? I think it is located on the side of the block, but I don't see any oil leaking downt he side or below the block.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The oil cooler is usually bolted to the back of the engine. it could very well be leaking internally and the leak goes out the exhaust when running.

One other note, that cooler also has water running through it, and need drained during your winterization.

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The oil cooler is usually bolted to the back of the engine. it could very well be leaking internally and the leak goes out the exhaust when running.

One other note, that cooler also has water running through it, and need drained during your winterization.

Thanks so much Don!

Is the steering cooler easy to get to? Any way to check it for leaks? Is this an expensive part? Hard to replace? I am wondering if it is worth replacing just in case.

Don S

Is the steering cooler easy to get to?

I don't know, look at it and you tell me.

Any way to check it for leaks?
Sure, remove it from the boat, drain it. Adapt a pressure tester to the oil side of the cooler and pressurize it to 15 psi and stick it in a bucket of water and see if you get bubbles.

They list for about 160 bucks new.

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Don,
When I was looking closer, while draining the block plugs, I noticed some power steering fluid drips on the steering "gear". I guess that is where the slow leak is at. Do you think some power steering fluid with leak stop is worth a shot?

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Power steering fluid with Stop Leak is a stop gap measure. It may stop leaking for a while but will inevitably start leaking again. Check the connections to the cooler, they could just be a bit loose if you are lucky.

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not the cooler.

It has some wetness and drips on the actual steering ram.

I have seen a few posts where people have had the same leak, replaced the steering ram, and then it leaked again 6 months later.

Are these prone to leaking?

I don't have a bad leak, but wonder if I should put stop leak in it.

These ram's seem to be really expensive, and look like a real pain to install.

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely from steering ram. I only have to top off the steering fluid every now and then, doesn't seem to be a bad leak.

Don S

I don't have a bad leak, but wonder if I should put stop leak in it.

NO!!!!!!

You can't keep trying to bandaid fix everything on your boat you know, otherwise you will have a complete POS.

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with bandaid fixes. I by no means want to rig anything. I take very good care of our boat. From other posts I have read, people have replaced the ram, and it started leaking again not to long after. I wonder if this is just a common problem.

I will monitor and keep an eye on the level of fluid. If it gets worse, I will get it replaced. For now, it is a very slow leak.