78 Rude 2 thirsty 5

wet_rat

Cadet
Premix motor that I have recently purchased. It took me awhile to figure out the starting sequence. Once I did motor ran great. Went to the lake today. Same starting steps, purge fuel bulb til firm, spray premixed 50:1 into each carb, turn key, press key in, turn key while holding it in. Motor turns over and over but never acts like it wants to start. Try 2 more times and tilt motor up, pull off the ramp. Once I get away from the ramp and climb in the boat, premixed has poured out of somewhere(carbs?). Pull plugs, lil wet but not bad. Reinstall plugs, back down ramp, try again with exact same response. What's with the premixed running out?

guitman32

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 78 Rude 2 thirsty 5

Are you advancing throttle when you try to start her?

Do you hear the primer click?

Did you start her on muffs before going out that day...you should it will make you look better at the ramp.

A bit of sweating when cold from the fuel rail is ok in my experience...does putting pressure on the bulb while trying to start help?

Have you verified you are getting good spark (gap check, check stator output, timer base output, coils, etc), checked compression, etc?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 Rude 2 thirsty 5

You could have a stuck float in one of the carbs. Agree that you should check for spark. If you have spark, you should get some fire from an engine that has fuel. Check for spark with an inductive timing light on each plugwire. The flashes in the gun will show you if it's firing or weak spark, etc.