Hairline cracks in Stern

otterby

Seaman
I was recently winterizing my '05 Four Winns when i found a couple of hairline cracks in the stern extending away from where the drive mounts. They appear to only be in the gel coat. Is this common? I assume that I need to seal them up somehow before I get any water penetration. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hairline cracks in Stern

we need pics....that is very unusual for an o5 winns.

it may be more work than you think......what about warranty?

otterby

Seaman

I tried getting some pictures but the cracks are so faint that they didn't show up. However, you can see them and feel them when you rub your hand across them. I'll have to find a better camera. Is this transom supported with wood behind the fiberglass. From inside the engine compartment it looks like fiberglass sandwiching foam? I'm the third owner of the boat and can't find any warranty paperwork, would an '05 still have warranty left? Thanks for your help.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

try to get those pics up.......we know what to look for....

the four winns had a good warranty....but i dont think it was transferable...

the cracks in the gellcoat might not just be surface,,,they might actually go into the transom glass......

there could be a number of factors that go into those cracks.......but there is a big one im hoping that you dont have !!!!

Last edited:

chriscraft254

Commander

Just my opinion, but hairline cracks are pretty normal. But if they are below the water line, they need to be taken care of. Your boat is almost 7 years old. I have seen hairline cracks on top tear boats that were only a year old.

I doubt seriously that you have rott issues in that short of time. Is this boat left in the water or trailered?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Just my opinion, but hairline cracks are pretty normal. But if they are below the water line, they need to be taken care of. Your boat is almost 7 years old. I have seen hairline cracks on top tear boats that were only a year old.

I doubt seriously that you have rott issues in that short of time. Is this boat left in the water or trailered?

there is only a few causes for gellcoat cracks.

1. gellcoat too thick or too thin......this is usually on a area that is at the bottom of the mold....causing thickness.....not in this case due to the vertical surface they were spraying on....possibly too thin....however this is not the norm

2. gellcoat cat rate......improperly mixed cat/gell will crack.....this is possibly the case, however......it would be a fluke to be on that specific area.

3. stress......tons of options here......possible overtightining of the tplate from the inside.....however....this would be mopre likely over the whole surface of the gimbal housing.....besides...there is a foam gasket to seal and prevent this.
so.....that leaves..........ugh. !

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

IMO those look like stress cracks from you outboard. Is your boat over powered? Does your transom feel like it has any soft spots at all or your motor been hit? I am sure someone will help you out more than I can, good luck I hope its something minor!

otterby

Seaman

The boat is 100% stock, it has a 270 hp VP, single prop. There doesn't seem to be any soft spots in the transom and the motor has never been hit not has the boat hit anything. Other than these cracks the boat is in perfect condition. These cracks really have me confused and worried.

tpenfield

Staff member

Looks like a case of transom 'stressitis'. The boat is 6 years old . . . any hull/structural warranty left?

Not normal, should be fixed as you will get water penetration. The problem with fixing those is that they go under the gimbal housing that is mounted to the transom. So, a proper fix would involve removing the outdrive and related transom housings (this is an I/O volvo penta, right?).

otterby

Seaman

No warranty left, it's not transferrable and Im the third owner. The boat has been pampered, at least the last two years I've owned it and the cracks just appeared, how would it have gotten stressed enough to crack the transom. It is a I/O Volvo Penta. Any guesses on what it might cost to fix?

Smokey496

Cadet
I have to agree with the above posts. I would cut those cracks out and find out what's going on as soon as possible.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

This is not transom Doom there ..

You have a few cracks in the gel and thats it. Boats do tend to move and flex.

You will get little cracks in the gelcoat around your boat here and there ..

For that age of a boat from 4 winns is not uncommon. ( Its not uncommon for any boat ) .. but Very well built for your particular build/year. IMO ..

Yes you may find when taking off the OB that you MAY not have some chamfered holes. Many ( most gel cracks ) happen when you just blow holes for whatever mounts/throughbolts etc without countersinking the gelcoat.

4 winns has taken care of this problem in its more current builds .. from my direct discussions with them ..

Its just in the gel Im almost certain ! .. NO big deal.

Repair them next chance the motor is off and you will be fine.

AZTEC SURF WHITE is your Gelcoat color from 4 winns. Perfect match ( I would add that There Gel is some of the best Gelcoat I have Ever worked with ) .. High end stuff IMO ..

YD.

otterby

Seaman

Thanks Doc., it looks like you know your stuff, I feel better now. However, do I need to worry about the small amount of water getting through the gelcoat to the glass/wood and doing more damage since it's below the waterline. Is there a good way to seal the crack without actually cutting into the boat (sealer, caulk, epoxy, etc)?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Just dremel the cracks down to the glass. Then fill with gelcoat paste. You could sand and buff the paste but I would suggest you spray gel over the repairs because they are below the water line.

YD.