Volvo Penta upper gear box SX M 1995

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to replace the clutch cone and was unable to get nut off the upper shaft. I then pulled the out drive off and seperated the lower from the upper and removed the pinion gear assembly. I thought that I would be able to slide the upper shaft, bearings and gears out the top. This isn't working. I tried using a 2x2 piece of wood and a rubber mallet and drive it out but this didn't work ether. Any suggestions on how to get it out. I was planning on leaving the top nut alone and instead remove the bottom clip so that i could slide everything off that way.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Re: Volvo Penta upper gear box SX M 1995

You really should take another look at your Volvo service manual.
There is a big spanner nut that holds the bottom gear and bearing in the housing and can only be accessed after you remove the upper gear and bearing assembly.
The nut you?re having problems with is left hand threads so turn it clockwise to loosen.
Also now that you have been pounding on the shaft I would recommend that you repress the bearings on the gears --- you might have moved them a little.
And for sure check gear backlash and pattern during reassembly.

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I knew that the top nut was to rotate clockwise to remove but I can't get it to budge. Marine Mechanic advised me to remove drive unit and take out the pinion by removing the 4 screws that held it in and that the verticle shaft and gears would come out. I will give the top nut another try and will check out the lash. I did not hit very hard and used a rubber mallet. Hopefully nothing has changed, but will still check. Thanks.

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

Any suggestions on how to remove the top nut. Should I put the lower back on so that I can use the output shaft to keep the upper shaft from moving while trying to remove the top nut? What about heating up the nut? good or bad?

muc

?Marine Mechanic? might have forgotten about the spanner or hasn?t done the job before?
You might be able to get the nut loose by putting the lower back on.
Sorry I can?t be much help on shade tree stuff.
I only work on these Volvo?s with a full set of factory tools and Volvo uses a lot of special tools.
Don?t think it would be a good idea to use heat but the only reason I can give is because I?ve never had to use heat.

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

I did put the lower back on and was able to get the top nut off. The sliding clutch cone does not appear to be scored and the grooves did have some sludge build up in them. I am putting in new seals, bellows, and freash paint. I have to shade tree and I like learning the mechanics of my boat. I also end up with more tools every time I work on something. Gears looked good and the lash is correct. The Marine Mechanic has show willingness to help, but did forget about the spanner. Taking the drive off has given me the chance to learn and also inspect and replace any suspect parts. Thanks for the tips

muc

Might want to lap the clutch and cones while apart.
Volvo has a service bulletin that gives good directions, they want you to replace the clutch but I have seen a lot of guys just clean the old clutch real good after lapping and reuse it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do not lap the newer style Nibril material cones like you have. The service bulletin was for Pre SX drives only.

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like the best thing for me to do is replace the cone with a new one.
Thanks for all the comments.