OMC Stringer tilt gearbox leaks and fail to tilt

harkerr

Cadet
Here is what I have learned about the OMC tilt from my 1984 over the years.

It is hard to keep the water out of the tilt gearbox. If enough water gets in, it travels up into the tilt motor and gums it up, and the unit will not tilt. I have been through 4 motors.

1. I found that by putting an o-ring between the tilt housing and the gear, it keeps the high velocity water when underway from directly hitting the seal and forcing water past it.
I used a Parker 2-119N O-ring . It perfectly fills the space without binding.

2. I found that the lip seal sealing area is very close to the step on the shaft and can let in water. I installed 2 new seals, but reversed both them to move the sealing area closer to the center of the seal area.

The large outboard bearing also wears causing excess clearance and lets the seal leak. I have replaced mine twice.

3 .I replaced the oil in the gearbox with waterproof boat trailer wheel bearing grease. If water gets in it does not mix with the oil.

4. I check for water in the box every time I pull the boat out.

I also keep the tools on board to pull the sector gear. That way I can get the motor tilted in an emergency.

If it will not tilt, sometimes trying in reverse will get it started.

Everything must be working perfectly for the system to operate. A very marginal design. The internet forums are full of these issues. I think I have finally gotten mine to seal and tilt reliably after 25 years of frustration.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OMC Stringer tilt gearbox leaks and fail to tilt

..... it keeps the high velocity water when underway from directly hitting the seal and forcing water past it.
The entire tilt system is out of the water when on plane, where is the "high velocity water" coming from?
FWIW, my '84 stringer tilt system worked fine for 20 years, even then I only added a shim to increase traction slightly.
I'm thinking the grease might allow your clutch plates to slip more than normal. But if it works, all is good.

cr2k

Captain

There are also several plastic shims/washers that are on the shaft. They are important! You will be amazed at how much better it runs with these in place.

shrowder1979

Cadet

that o-ring that you used Parker 2-119N O-ring how big is that o-ring? is that the one that goes on the housing cover?