slight water leak

jmoore73

Seaman Apprentice
What is the fore and aft cylinder shaped thing on the starboard side of engine compartment on 3.0L merc? I assume it is part of cooling system. It had a small leak today. I thought it was the hose, but that wasn't it, so I tightened the 9/16 bolt on the aft end of the cylinder, and that seemed to tkae care of it. Is that anything to worry about? Leak is gone, but didn't know if I should have tightened that thing down not knowing what it was.

Also, upon starting, my drive shaft seems to make a squueking noise. It disappears after a minute or two. Any thoughts?

It's a 91 Maxum 1800 SR.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: slight water leak

What you've described does sound like the heat exchanger for the closed cooling system, but on the 3litre engines it's usually under the manifold on the PORT side of the engine. Each end of the heat exchanger has a rubber gasket, and they can leak. Tightening the bolt should fix the problem. You are aware that heat exchangers need cleaning every 3 or 4 years.... Usually during the cleaning process the gaskets are replaced.

Best thing is post a picture....

Chris...........

jmoore73

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Chris. It's definitely on STBD side a little forward and outboard of the starter motor, and directly outboard of the fuel pump. i had to remove a hose on this to get the fuel pump off to change the filter. I didn't know they needed cleaning, but I am still waiting receipt of my seloc manual so I am still flying in the dark on some things. I'll get a picture of it posted in the morning. Thanks for the input. any idea on the squeaking?

achris

It may be a cabin heater... Do you have a warmer thingy in the cabin?

achris

jmoore73 said:
seloc manual

:eek: :eek:... Run away!!!!!

What year is the engine? (not the boat, the engine!) or better still, the serial number...

If that is a cabin heater, it will not be in the engine manual (seloc or genuine)....

No idea on the squeak... could be anything... fan belt maybe????

jmoore73

Seaman Apprentice

No, I don't have a cabin. It's a run about. The serial # is 0M097933. I take it the SELOC manual's no good?

achris

No, I don't have a cabin. It's a run about. The serial # is 0M097933. I take it the SELOC manual's no good?

Real men don't eat quiche, and real mechanics don't use seloc (or clymer)....

Your engine is 2002....

Chris.......

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Real men don't eat quiche, and real mechanics don't use seloc (or clymer)....

Your engine is 2002....

Chris.......

lol- "important words" "special care" stupid seloc :rolleyes: