1977 0r something Merc??

I bought a 1977 Astro glas bass boat with a merc engine on it.. But the daughter of the prev. owner told me the outboard used to have a red cover and he put on a blue cover.with out the hp..any answer will help, It is a tower of power with elecronic ign. Runs good but if I need parts where do I look?
Thanks again

mr 88

Commander
Re: 1977 0r something Merc??

Second sticky post on top of this forum will get you to the site that will give you the year of motor and maybe HP.Serial number on mounting bracket.Parts are all over the internet from here to ebay.Sometimes there are casting, serial numbers and other imprints on the side of the block as well that may lead you to what HP it is.Usually Towers are black and may have a red or blue band on the wrap in that era of your boat. May have been custom painted as well.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

Is there a tag on the transom clamp between the mounting bolts that gives you a serial number? I have a '77 Merc and it is a blue band but mine is not a tower of power.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Except for three high performance models during the late 1970s, 1971 was the last year mercury had red band cowlings

The engine came with a red cowling, Then it was changed out to a blue, in 77 I believe.Its a merc unpainted. I mean coverd up
Thanks
What is a sticky post??

mr 88

Commander

A "sticky post" is a permanent post and does not get moved down the line and usually contains info that may speed things along in this case.It is a good idea to glance at the content before asking a question as it may be covered by the sticky post.Except for the 50's and early 60's Merc have black tops and wraps.As I wrote before,they may have a band of color going around the wrap like a rally stripe/red/blue or all black.So what you need to do is get the serial number and proceed to sticky post #2.That will give you a link to model years which will tell you what year and hp yours is.That is step one,finding out the exact year/HP regardless of color of wrap.