can an evinrude prop be used on a mercury?

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
1984 70hp 2-stroke evinrude

1990 90hp 2-stroke mercury

got an evinrude engine from my grandpa for free. turns out it had a hole in the block, got it half torn down to realize the salt water corrosion has bolt heads popping off left/right. about to abandon it and part it, but the lower unit has a stainless prop on it. my mercury still has the original 19p aluminum prop and its a bit torn up lol.

if the splines are the same the stainless should bolt up and work right? only other problem I see is that this is apparently a vintage stainless prop as it has NO markings on it anywhere that I can see so no clue who makes it or what pitch, etc it is. and no, I havent taken it off the lower unit yet.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: can an evinrude prop be used on a mercury?

Just because the splines match up does not mean the prop is a proper fit. Hub diameter and hub length must also be the same. A hub that is too long means the nut cannot be tighted and the prop would slide back and forth. If the hub diameter is wrong, the back side of the prop may hit the exhaust housing. Then it is very likely the pitch is wrong. The prop from the Evinrude would very likely cause the 90 HP Merc to over rev.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I'm purty sure hub length & diameter are about the same but spline count is different. So you'd have to re-hub it at least. And as ST says it's probly not tall enough for the 90.

Having said that it might be worth re-hubbing and keeping as a spare?

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Re hub and go down the road. Barrel length is the same.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to take the prop off the evinrude lower either tonight or tomorrow. since there are no markings on the outside anywhere, would there be anywhere to look inside of it for markings so I can better ID what it is exactly?

also when you guys say "rehub" are you talking about the part of the prop itself with the splines? only thing I can think of. this is literally the first time I'm really dealing with props on boat engines. always just used factory in the past because I'm cheap. I can only imagine how hard its gonna be to pull the prop off also considering how long and abused this engine apparently has suffered through. it was "real fun" getting the prop off my mercury engine this past summer as I dont think it had ever been off either and was fresh water all its life until I brought it to charleston 5 years ago.

this evinrude has been a salty dog all its life. yay corrosion!