98 90HP Engine Problems. 1st post.

dbraves8

Recruit
I have a 1998 Johnson 90hp v-4 and can not get the engine to start. The battery is charged and is providing power to the engine. I am getting fuel to the engine. The engine cranks and cranks and cranks but never actually fires and turns over. It just makes that starting sound and you can hear the flywheel turning but it never has combustion. I read online to take the plug out so I took the plug out and put the coil boot back on the plug and touched the side of the plug on the side of the engine while a friend cranked it. I seen no spark. There is not a kill switch wired on the center console so i dont know if there is even one.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 98 90HP Engine Problems. 1st post.

'but it never has combustion'
Do you mean combustion or compression?
Sure your flywheel is turning and not just the pinion spinning?
Kill switch on that system is hooked onto the key-switch turning the key to stop, if attached.
If flywheel is spinning, you have compression but no spark, my guess will be the optical sensor on top of the flywheel. Easy to change if you manage to get the top timing disc off without breaking it.

dbraves8

Recruit
Re: 98 90HP Engine Problems. 1st post.

The engine sounds like its going to crank its really loud and you can hear it turning but it never turns all the way over. we tested for spark and no spark at all. is there a site or videos where I can see the engine and see what the pinion is?