Mercury 50 hp 4 stroke carb leaking

jnytro

Recruit
I have looked through many of the threads and have not seen an answer to my problem.

I just purchased a pontoon with a 1999 Mercury 50hp Bigfoot 4 stroke. Several days after getting it home I went to start it and it was running very rough.
Noticed that there was a lot of gas running down the carbs. Thought maybe I primed the bulb too much (can that be done?) or flooded it so I let it sit for a few days and tried
it again while watching the carbs. As soon as I started it gas started pooring out of the carbs. I took the carbs loose and noticed that the top carb fuel inlet
would turn (where the gas line connects to the carb)? I pulled on it a little and it just came right out of the carburator! The carbs were rebuilt right before I
bought the boat by someone that two people have told me was good. I looked in the service manual and it does not list the inlet elbow as a separate part.
Like it should be a permanent part of the carb.

Should the inlet elbow just pull out like that? I put it back in and tapped it with a soft screwdriver handle and it seemed to tighten up. I ran it after that and
it ran fine. Although I think the third carb has the same problem. What is to keep it from vibrating loose while out on the lake?
Just seems odd that it would just be a pressed on part. Any help would be appreciated.

fisherman81654

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 50 hp 4 stroke carb leaking

I have looked through many of the threads and have not seen an answer to my problem.

I just purchased a pontoon with a 1999 Mercury 50hp Bigfoot 4 stroke. Several days after getting it home I went to start it and it was running very rough.
Noticed that there was a lot of gas running down the carbs. Thought maybe I primed the bulb too much (can that be done?) or flooded it so I let it sit for a few days and tried
it again while watching the carbs. As soon as I started it gas started pooring out of the carbs. I took the carbs loose and noticed that the top carb fuel inlet
would turn (where the gas line connects to the carb)? I pulled on it a little and it just came right out of the carburator! The carbs were rebuilt right before I
bought the boat by someone that two people have told me was good. I looked in the service manual and it does not list the inlet elbow as a separate part.
Like it should be a permanent part of the carb.

Should the inlet elbow just pull out like that? I put it back in and tapped it with a soft screwdriver handle and it seemed to tighten up. I ran it after that and
it ran fine. Although I think the third carb has the same problem. What is to keep it from vibrating loose while out on the lake?
Just seems odd that it would just be a pressed on part. Any help would be appreciated.
You asked for (ANY) help ya got me lol.
No it does not seem right:facepalm: To me it should thread in tight.
But I don't know about your engine.Its a good idea to post serial # of the motor also.

jnytro

Recruit

Hey, your better than no response. At least I know someone is lookin. Kind of new to this forum stuff.
Your right of course about the serial #. It is 0G796775

The thing that surprised me was that it is not threaded, just pressed in. I just got done disassembling the carbs.
First one, the one that had loose inlet, I tapped on it with a punch and seemed to really tighten up. I took the float
housing off to see if there were any signs of a carb kit installed, needle valve looked good, but the float bowl gasket
is too big to fit back in groove. I was told that they swell as soon as you take it off???

jnytro

Recruit

Thanks for the link. After looking at it I realized that I had been there before I really knew what was going in, but had
not saved it and had forgotten about it. It did help in giving me a part # for the gasket I need. Going to get them tomorrow
and tighten everything up and see how it goes. Thanks again.

jnytro

Recruit

Just to follow up on this thread. I checked all carbs., tightened up all screws and tapped in the fuel line inlet elbows with a punch.
They seemed to tighten up pretty good. After doing so, I ran the engine for awhile. So far so good. No fuel leaking. Planning on taking
the toon out this week-end for a test run and to get some fall pictures. Southern Indiana tree color is just now peaking.