Define "Powerloading"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've done alot of searches on iBoats and around the web. There are ALOT of discussions but I can't find a specific deffinition. When I put in I start the motor and back off the trailer. Requires only idel speed to get off. Also when I load up, I pull up to the trailer at idel and coast onto the trailer (bunks only no rollers). Am I powerloading? My deffinition is someone who doesn't back the trailer in far enough and guns the boat to get on the trailer. So which is it? Just for my own curiosity.

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: Define "Powerloading"

Anything ABOVE idle speed to load is MY definition of "Power loading".

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Idle speed for getting on the trailer is fine. As soon as the boat stops due to friction with the bunks/rollers, then it's time to connect the winch strap and crank the rest of the way up. If you can't crank it up, then the trailer isn't in deep enough. If you have to give any additional throttle at all, that's power loading and you're screwing up the ramp.

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After watching the video, I guess just because your a pro doesn't make you right. That is powerloading. I don't load that way. I just idel on and winch up. Thanks for the clarification.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Powerloading= 12 beers while mowing the lawn.

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To me it is crystal clear, it is using motor power (even at idle) to push the boat onto the trailer.

I would have to ask, HOW DOES POWER LOADING SCREW UP THE RAMP? It seems it speeds up the process and hastens the next in lines place.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

To me it is crystal clear, it is using motor power (even at idle) to push the boat onto the trailer.

I would have to ask, HOW DOES POWER LOADING SCREW UP THE RAMP? It seems it speeds up the process and hastens the next in lines place.
It clears out the the lake bottom at the end of the cement ramp. Trailer tires then drop off the end of the ramp. Then the axle hangs up on the cement.

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW, I have not used ramps around my neck of the woods yet, but I was raised on Lake Shasta in California. The ramps went far further into the water than prop wash would effect. I remember my father (owner and operator of many marinas) wish out loud, that more boaters would "motor onto the trailer" because it kept the dirt and crud off of the ramp. But I guess I will experience that very soon locally. Thanks for the answer.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

WOW, I have not used ramps around my neck of the woods yet, but I was raised on Lake Shasta in California. The ramps went far further into the water than prop wash would effect. I remember my father (owner and operator of many marinas) wish out loud, that more boaters would "motor onto the trailer" because it kept the dirt and crud off of the ramp. But I guess I will experience that very soon locally. Thanks for the answer.

"Motoring onto the trailer" and powerloading are two entirely different things. It is generally accepted that powerloading means gunning the motor until the boat reaches the bow stop. This technique angers some and is of no consequence to others. Consensus is it adversely affects conditions on shorter ramps because the prop wash creates scour holes that eat trailers. On longer ramps it's not typically seen as an issue since there's usually more than enough concrete behind the boat to prevent said scour holes from developing. Given enough time this thread is likely to end up being closed since there are some very strong opinions on this matter.

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope it doesn't get closed. I am OK with anyones opinions. It must then be considered discretionary to use the technique, in other words on ramps which it is OK to do so, why not. The ramps which it is frowned upon should be easily recognized and avoided, that is if I can dare to venture a guess.

That is avoid the technique, not the ramp. but maybe????;)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Now I understand about the long lines at the launches some write about here, they're all waiting for everyone else to winch their boats up on their trailers! Powerloading is showing a consideration for other boaters wating to use the ramp, no winch time = more people on and off the ramp quicker.

I've never had to back my boat to the end of a concrete launch ramp to launch it, and they drop some of our lake levels 5-10' in the winter for flood control.

If you have to back your trailer to the end of a concrete ramp to launch, what are you going to back it onto?... mud/mush?

chriscraft254

Commander

Man, thankyou so much for showing that youtube video. It is exactly the way I have loaded my boat my whole life, down to the loading by myself. Its easy and it works every time with a self centering roller trailer. Offloads from the same position, the back two tires in the water, the front two out.

Powerloading a boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkWMtqQBL5k

More people do it than not.

The next time there's a Bass or Walleye tournament on a lake near you, go to the weigh-in and watch how the pros load their boats.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I've never had to back my boat to the end of a concrete launch ramp to launch it, and they drop some of our lake levels 5-10' in the winter for flood control.
QUOTE]

Nor have I, so I guess we're blessed in that regard. Powerloading is a common practice among Arkies. It doesn't seem to be a problem where I go, but where I go the ramps are really long and really well constructed. Clearly that's not the case where everyone goes, hence the varied opinions.

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to open another can of worms, but it seems those who are angry at the practice are angry at the wrong people. If I launch my boat and have to pay for that right of access, which is common place. (right?) Then how can it be my fault if there is a canyon at the end of the ramp? It seems reasonable to suggest the ramp owner and/or organization collecting the funds is the reason the trouble exists. NO?

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I launch my boat and have to pay for that right of access, which is common place. (right?) NO?

I tend to use public ramps and choose not to pay. The private ramps around here are about fifty-fifty good and bad. $15-$25 launch fee.

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tend to use public ramps and choose not to pay. The private ramps around here are about fifty-fifty good and bad. $15-$25 launch fee.
Devils advocate; you pay taxes, so I believe they all cost and in my case they cost more publicly than privately.
None the less, the practice is avoidable and in some cases ruinous. So I am glad this subject came up. My ignorance has been reduced a small percentage. Puget Sound should be my main boating area, but there are a couple lakes close by too. Not that many ramps that I find around and they are all private, some only have slings. Lots to learn still, wish me luck.

Walcott

Seaman

I went boating with a guy In hardly knew about 4 years ago. when we got back to the ramp he idled up the trailer and i jumped off to attach the winch and pull the boat up the trailer. well, As soon as i grabbed the winch hook, here he comes, full speed ahead up the trailer and pins my arm between the boat (a 26' cuddy) and the winch. needless to say i started cussing , he could not see me or hear me and was still gunning it until someone else from the ramp yelled at him to kill it......I could not feel my arm for hours........Powerloading is not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.