New water pump and housing still no water out tall tail

jpowell_2010

Cadet
I just finished putting my new water pump on the complete kit and changed the foot oil i actually ordered the pump from iboats and still no water to tall tail. Fully submerged foot in a trash can still no water out of the tall tail. So i was thinking it was the thermastat but i have shot water up the pipe with the foot off and water comes out of the tall tail with the motor running. So i then blew air threw my tall tail with no help from that i have now hit a dead end. I loobed up the impeller with marine grease before install so that it would spin but for some reason i just can't seem to get water to the motor. Has anyone replaced a water pump on a 30 hp johnson and had the same issues? My next step would be take it to the shop but i really don't wanna do that. any help would be greatly appreciated.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: New water pump and housing still no water out tall tail

a) pump not assembled correctly
b) you missed the pump outlet with the water tube
c) the grommet in the pump outlet got folded over during final assembly
d) incorrect parts used
e) pump body not well sealed to wear plate
g) pump air bleed hole plugged
h) water not deep enough for the pump to do its thing
i) debris stuck in water passages
j) stuck thermostat or vernitherm (if so equipped)
k) key missing or incorrect
n)pump rotates clockwise looking from the top

The vanes make no difference ... if you install them incorrectly oriented, they will flip to the correct position upon rotation.

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First thing I would check would be the key for the impeller. If you shoot water up the water tube and get water from the tell tell that rules out pretty much any obstruction or thermostat. Also check your pickup. If its clogged the new pump can't get any water to it. therefor none to the motor. Hope this helps.

jpowell_2010

Cadet

Yeah i believe its the key for the impeller. i don't believe the new kit had a key with it not even sure what it looks like honestly because the old pump was pretty much completly trashed. is there anything i can use for a key? i swear its always something little and fairly simple that will throw a whole project off.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You need the correct part. Most newer motors use a plastic cam as a key. If the drive shaft has a machined flat, that's what you need. Any BRP Evinrude dealer will have a key and a complete pump kit will too. You may not have recognized what it was for.

jpowell_2010

Cadet

Exactly right i am so happy yall said something bout the key. i went to the boat shop and they gave my one the kit i bought was for my motor and all but didn't have one in it for some reason(seems like i'm always the lucky one who gets the bag missing one last piece....) Its amazing how something so little can make or brake your entire motor. thank yall so much for the help i greatly appreciate it! Btw only took me bout an hour to take off everything and then slide it back up i guess a little experience can go along way.

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a similar problem before. Glad to help.