'89 88 SPL unusual water discharge when running

pennyanman

Seaman Apprentice
I am probably being anal about this one (as engineers are known to be anyway..), but here goes; <br /><br />When under way, there is warm water exiting the front of the two piece plastic cover under the engine pan. The pan area under the powerhead stays dry. I also notice when running the muffs in the driveway that some warm water is discharging from the lower unit mounts that attach to the exhaust housing. I don't recall seeing this on either of my older OMC V4s.<br /><br />Any ideas? Is it anything to worry about? The previous owner changed the water pump. Is it possible he left out a gasket or the exhaust housing lower grommet?

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Re: '89 88 SPL unusual water discharge when running

Do you mean from the exhaust ports?<br />PS..what type of engr?.....

D

DJ

Pennyanman,<br /><br />That is not normal. Something is missing or loose.

pennyanman

Seaman Apprentice

Ans. to (what kind engr?) The worst kind, Aerospace!<br />I'm not seeing much of anything from exhaust relief ports at aft side of the mid section, except at idle. On both of my older V4's there was a small hole at the front of the gear case housing just forward of the shift rod cover where I would see a pretty steady stream of water when flushing with the earmuffs. This motor doesn't have this hole. I was also wondering if the previous owner left off the shift rod grommet that seals off the gearcase to mid section/exhaust housing. The motor runs fine, and doesn't seem to be distressed in terms of temperature.

inquizito

Seaman

Directly adjacent to an upward-facing lower unit assembly bolt, I noticed what appeared to be a mixture of oil and gas (water?), milky brown color. The local force dealer says it is to relieve water which might otherwise freeze in cold weather. Others here have posted that it is a drainout for the water pump, and also that it is an exhause relief hole (50 Force 1987 507F7C)