Lightning Strike!!!!

Jake Merchant

Recruit
I have been dealing with lightning strike issues since June. What a bucket of worms! I am about at the end now ( at least I hope). now it's just an issue with the electronics. Raymarine DSM 300 was hit. My question is; what is the probability that the strike continued to the thru hull transducer?
Anyone had simelar situation? :facepalm:

Re: Lightning Strike!!!!

You didn't give a lot of details, but if everything is as bad as it sounds I believe there's a good chance the transducer could be damaged (of course you'll never know 'till you test it). I used to work for a company that did instrumentation systems for municipal water plants, some of them took lightning hits quite often so unfortunately I have a fair amount of experience with that sort of thing. It didn't even need to be a direct hit to cause damage, just within a mile or so sometimes.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

No insurance? I had a lightning strike this summer on my 33 foot camper. Progressive paid 1400.00 on a 500.00 bill

haulnazz15

Captain

Pretty much anything with a diode will fry when exposed to a lightning strike close enough to it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Haven't ripped a transducer cable apart recently, but they used to use coax type shielded cable for the run to prevent electrical interference in the boat from affecting the signal. With that, the only thing to possibly suffer is the piezo electric device which converts electrical energy to sound waves and is very husky. Would think that your engine would carry most if not all of the grounding currents.

Mark

Jake Merchant

Recruit

Hello Mark, The engines did take a hit. I had to replace several engine parts: ECU's, coils and spark plugs. Now, I am in the market for a DMS for Raymarine MFD. MFD survived because I remove it to prevent theft. I also had to replace the VHF and I have an issue with my A/C. Stereo was burned also. I have tested the transducer with mulmeter and it reads through so maybe all is well there.