Is Mercruiser 3.0L 4 cyl a good engine....compared to 470?

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm not divorcing my 470 just yet, but I am flirting with other boats on craigslist.

Found a very nice looking 1992 19' Glastron bowrider w/aluminum trailer. Wish I had found this two years ago. Asking price is $1700.

"3.0 mercruiser,engine overhauled, new cyl.head ,new manifold and new riser, new fuel pump and new fuel hoses"

I don't want to make another engine mistake. Give me your opinions on the 3.0L please.

3n93k93m85V35Q35X4b9l6976134dbccd19c2.jpg

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is Mercruiser 3.0L 4 cyl a good engine....compared to 470?

The 140 is ten times better in the durability department. Power department, definatly not. The 470 is a powerhouse for its size.

As with anything the 140 needs frequent maint, but all parts are easy to find and nothing is too expensive.

natemoore

The 140 is ten times better in the durability department. Power department, definatly not. The 470 is a powerhouse for its size.

As with anything the 140 needs frequent maint, but all parts are easy to find and nothing is too expensive.

But no designed-in flaws like blown head gaskets/leaky cam seals that the 470 has?

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

I'm pleased with my 3.0. Three years running without a hitch. I pull tubes and skiers in my 18ft, Stingray with no problem, and I don't have to hit the gas pumps very often.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

But no designed-in flaws like blown head gaskets/leaky cam seals that the 470 has?

No, none like that. Newer 3.0L's in the 2000's have lower quality castings then the old ones simply because the molds are getting worn out. So a brand new engine can blow a HG right off the bat. However, if it has some hours on it and all is well, it will continue to be well.

In an old heavy boat, the 2.5L and 3.0L were kinda powerless. With newer lighter hulls, the speed and power is much better.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't get much more bulletproof than the 3.0.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The "Bad Castings" causing head gaskets to blow a bunch of years back was fixed by changing the timing. Now, the biggest problem with them is the TKS carb Merc uses. The 3.0L engine has to be run so lean to pass EPA rules, that it's impossible to keep them running smoothe without problems.
Below is the 1998 service bulletin about the timing problem.
Volvo has also been using the 3.0L since 94 without a blown head gasket problem.
The 3.0L is the most used engine 4 cylinder there is in boats..

Attachments

• 98-12 Head gasket.pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 9

natemoore

Well, I checked out the boat. It's not running. Has the new starter in a box on workbench. Outdrive is off and he says the bearings in the upper half are shot. However, the aluminum trailer looks very new.

This one is raw water cooled.

Still worth $1700?

natemoore

How does "running" versus "not running" affect values? I know there's no law of nature regarding this, and I'm asking you to be psychic somewhat. Is it NADA retail value versus scrap/artificial reef value?

If we did it like you would a car dealership taking in a trade-in, we'd quote NADA trade-in, then deduct for costs of reconditioning or getting it back up to average.

Sorry, this question may not be answerable.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sellers always say there is only a minor problem that the engine doesn't run. Not that there is only compression on 2 of the 4 cylinders or a cracked block from freezing.
If the engine can't be run, then consider it has to be completely replaced. New manifolds don't mean much when that manifold is cracked (along with the block) from not being winterized.
Then look at the drive. Upper needs replaced, bet the gears are smooth, and all that metal also went into the lower and it's junk too.

Now you have no engine and no drive for all practical purposes.

Put that on top of a 92 hull (Almost 20 years old) that probably has rot, or did you check?

Now, how much is the trailer worth?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How does "running" versus "not running" affect values?

The running value minus the cost to completely repower. Probably be a negative number in this case.

natemoore

Good advice, everyone. Thanks!