need some help with an "easy problem"

veedub

Seaman
ok guys, forgive me, im a newbie to the boating world. I picked up a 77 American with a bad steering cable. Ive read the post on how to remove and install new cables so im pretty caught up on that EXCEPT, when trying to remove the cable from the tube, its catching on something. I have been able to remove about 7-8 inches of the cable but like i mentioned its catching something in the tube.

Any help for a new guy?

Attachments

• 2011-10-05_14-44-51_650.jpg
    2011-10-05_14-44-51_650.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 3

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: need some help with an "easy problem"

Your right EASY push the tube back thru the tilt tube. Take a smooth file or emery cloth and smooth the end It is likley binding in the tube. The tube is stainless and you do not want to damage it ot the cable. . Guarented to work. Done it several times.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On some boats you have to unbolt the motor and slide it over to make more room to pull the tube out.

veedub

Seaman

Ok last question and then its going to the shop for more help. Is the steering cable conneted to something inside the tube? Or is there something I have to unbolt on the port side as well?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

YIKES you have to unbolt the cable from the motor arm on the motor is all to release it. sounds like you mabey did not do this????????????? Its on the port side of the steering connector.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

let us know what you find is your problem. OK? With the Steering cable.

veedub

Seaman

So i got it moving along with a little help from an "adjustment" tool, (hammer) things seem to be moving now

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

You will need to make sure the cable that goes thru the tilt tube is smoothed once you get it out. Best next time to make sure all the ends are smooth so they do not bind . If the tilt tube is damaged it needs to be cleand out as a new one will set you back abour $ 100 . Most cases with Marine products is a -hammer- is a bad Idea.

veedub

Seaman

like i said, it just needed a little adjustment. I wasnt beating on the thing. From where the cable is at now, there hasnt been any grease what so ever, and im thinking it was just "frozen" in there.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Glad its free. nothing like a boat you can't steer. Good luck with the project. Pugetsound