40 hp evinrude e tec wont run

I have been working on a 40 hp evinrude e tech and i am having problems.It will start and idle for 30 seconds or so then dies . no alarms,i checked fuel going through hose and primer and it seems to be getting good flow.Plugs look good,i was going to check compresson tommorrow and pressure out of electric pump.Any suggestions would be helful.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 40 hp evinrude e tech wont run

Start with an OEM shop manual, a laptop and diagnostic sw.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You'll need the above equipment to work on these newer mtrs. Aint like the old days.

Yeah i know, i'm a mechanic and am into the electronic stuff at work, but i'm trying to check the basics for my buddy and didnt know if there were any ideas before i tell him to take it to the dealer,thanks for the reply

It has ran great,no problems ,and put it away for the workweek,when we went to take it out next time about 5 days later this is what it did

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you tried pumping the primer bulb to see if you can keep it running?? Also look for any loose wiring on the fuel pump system. If it ran good a week ago, look for the simple and stupid things. Water in the fuel??

Haffiman

Commander

Do you hear the electric pressure pump run for a couple of seconds when ign is put 'ON'?

well i havnt got that far since the battery was dead,but today i will listen and see if i can hear it,the line is easy to get off so i might just take it off and see if i have pressure,the boat has a 20 gallon tank on it so checking for water in the tank isnt going to be easy but i could take a fresh can and try to hook up to it,thanks for the reply

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your a mechanic. You have access to fuel system pressure testing equipment. Sounds like the pump runs at key-on to pressurize the system but it loses pressure after the engine starts and it then dies.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To check for water in the tank, take the fuel line off of the mtr, get a clear jar and use the primer bulb to pump fuel into it. Let the jar sit for awhile and see if there's any water in the bottom of it.

I went to check it out today.I set it on high idle for 10 mins or so to warm it up andi didnt have any problems after that,ran it for an hour or so and didnt miss a beat.The only thing i can think of is the battery is junk.I had to leave the charger on boost just to get it to start everytime. It was on charge all night and never came up so i hope the battery was causing this problem.I know on a electronic engine the battery can cause all kind of problems with sensors and ignition.thats all i could find.Looks like it had good fuel pressure and the gas looked good.I will get it out this weekend and run it around and see what it does,I will keep you posted,thanks for the help.

Haffiman

Commander

Just be sure you disconnect the battery from the engine when charging!!!
If a charger it put on 'boost' voltage may spike and blow your EMM!!!!

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Wait a minute. I thought the E-Tec engine all supplied their own power to run the EMM and engine, and the battery was just for the starter and accessories?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

That is correct. The power for the EMM is from a separate 55V source, independent of the 12vdc system entirely. A battery charger would have zero effect on the EMM. E-Tecs are about the only large motors that can run just fine w/o any battery present, although starting certainly would present a major issue. This was a feature I considered important in the selection of offshore motors when I repowered with a pair of E-Tecs a few years ago.

Haffiman

Commander

The EMM running power is separate from the charging circuit, but the regulator is incorporated in the EMM. If running diagnostic without engine running, the EMM gets power from battery. Run a charger on 'boost' and problem might occur.

thanks guys i will put a battery in it and see what it does,I will keep you posted