mercury tower of power age !!

GaryB.London

Cadet
Hi Guys, wondered if anybody could help with putting an age on my newly acquired 140 hp Mercury,
'tower of power ' the serial number is 3294848. blueband with thunderbolt ignition,
thanks in advance,
Gary. ( in not so sunny UK ! )

Also would a different poss newer engine cowling fit as the original is looking a bit tired !!

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury tower of power age !!

The wrap cowls are very universal. A newer one should fit. You can get new decals and strip and repaint existing cowling.

Look on maxrules.com The serial number should index the year of that motor on the model guide.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

YOu have a 1972. Here is the starting serial # for the 140hp (1972 being the first year it's made) 3294784 meaning, yous is the 64th 140HP Mercury inline 6 made. Any of the 99 cid inline 6's cowlings will fit your engine from 1968 thru 1988 with either 90, 115, 125, 135, 140, 150hp designations.

HTH, Craig

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool engine Gary. Got one of these too but the later 79' with coil packs. It would be a good idea to do some routine servicing on it before you take it out, the water ways etc may be stuffed up pretty bad for an engine of that age.

GaryB.London

Cadet

Hi mate, the motor has had the full treatment, new impeller, gaskets, rectifier, plugs, new fuel line, all in all some ?830 worth of attention lol... thanks for the advice tho, always much appreciated. Have been advised that the motor will need a new stator.. any advice on the best place to get one, also a mercury flywheel puller as i will need this to change out the stator. I have just got this motor and also my project boat winner viscount 21, have stripped in back to the bare shell to prepare and paint, new windows, in fact all new interior and exterior, also removed the old shot i/board in order to put on the tower of power... lol.. will be doing the full conversion to the transom, ie strengthening, glassing ,
new knee brace supports, and finally a hydraulic transom bracket.... phew... I could go on but dont want to bore you too much at this stage......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gary, You do not need to pull the flywheel to change the stator. Remove the eight 5/16" bolts that ring the flywheel bolt and remove the outer flywheel. The stator will have 4 allen head screws holding it.

The outer flywheel can be installed 8 different ways. seven ways are incorrect. Set the #1 piston to top dead center and then remove the outer flywheel. Now when you install the outer flywheel, make sure you set it to TDC on the timing decal. Use blue locktight on the bolts.

GaryB.London

Cadet

Thanks Chris, I inherited a clymer mercury service. repair.handbook (circa 1979) with the motor and reading up on the stator replacement it says remove flywheel !! but in light of your info I will certainly be doing it as you advise, many thanks for the advice..

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chris, if you need bits I may have some. I brought a wrecked 115, but a few of the parts are the same.