1972 Johnson 65hp gearcase gaskets

halfmoa

Ensign
I've got a 1972 Johnson 65hp outboard model 65ELS72S and I'm going to start the winterization process. I understand the solenoid wire routing process (although the thought of doing it is giving me anxiety!), have the correct lube, and new drain plug washers enroute. I cannot, however, find a gasket for the top of this gearcase. Iboats store doesn't have gasket kits for my gearcase and neither does anyone else that I can find. Going through the exploded parts diagram I cannot even see an indication that there's a gasket there. Am I missing something? Can any of you old salts that have worked on one of these shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
halfmoa

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: 1972 Johnson 65hp gearcase gaskets

You mean a gasket between the gearcase and the leg? There is no gasket there. The diagram explosion is correct. Are you going to inspect/replace the impeller? Otherwise, there is no need to even take the gearcase off the motor unless you need to service the LU due to water intrusion.

Rgds

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: 1972 Johnson 65hp gearcase gaskets

Yes, I was referring to the space between the gearcase and leg. As the new owner of this engine I will be replacing the impeller for a little peace of mind.

Thanks for the response!
halfmoa