Hi guys !

oops!

Supreme Mariner
just came over here from the dry dock.

got a problem i cant figure out.....need some help.

got a 50 foot house boat. solar charge.

just changed the house batts. 4 of em.

ran the gennie.......charged the batts......

went to shore for 3/4ths of an hour.......radio on.....nothing more.......batts dead on my return???????

what causes that kind of draw?

I'm running an inverter....there is a ton of systems on it......how do i isolate the problem?.....where do you start?

any clues?

thanks my friends.
cheers
oops

fucawi

Banned
Re: Hi guys ! BATTERY PROBLEM ..HELP

Carnt believe that an Admiral would put such an un helpfull title to a thread .....
Batteries what size ? ..how do you know they were charged ? How big is alternator on engine?.How long did you you run the genie? Whats its output and what volts did it bring the batteries up to ?..narrow boats in UK run 8 hrs a day min with two alternators to re charge the overnight use ...The max you will get into each battery is 25A dropping fast to 10 A . It will take at least 4 hrs to go from 80% to 100% .I dont think you have a genie with a 100A output .If you suspect a rogue current drain then you put an ammeter in the neg lead to measure it.
You would have been better to charge each battery individually on a mains charger for 24hrs before putting in a parallel circuit ....you could have one dud battery pulling the others down ...

fucawi

Banned

All good bubba but he says he only changed the batteries for new ones ..I assume the set up was working ok before ......who knows not enough information .....