stringer composition

macie

Cadet
have a 96' sunbird 200 corsair limited,part of the flooring is warped,i was wondering if it would be better to cut out warped section,or just try screwing down the warped section.what composition are the stringers,(fiberglass over foam,or fiberglass over wood)and would the screws hold.thanks for any input.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: stringer composition

hi.....welcome to iboats.

usually its glass over foam stringers in a newer boat situation.......however it could be a glass over wood in that year.

the question is.......why is the deck warping?

i would cut some holes in the deck in inconspicuous places....and look at the cores.

if you just want to fasten it down.......screw it to the stringers.....use a smaller drill to start a hole, then fill with 5200...then screw it

macie

Cadet
Re: stringer composition

it is a small area that is right next to the area they cutout for an access panel for the gas tank.my guess is they didn't epoxy the edge very good, or forget to do that area.the plywood looks real good,hasn't started to delaminate or rot.i just didn't know if the fiberglass was strong enough to hold the up pressure when the plywood is secured,or if the screws would pull out.and by the way,what is 5200,is it an epoxy?

Last edited: