winterizing question

richocki

Seaman Apprentice
I am getting ready to winterize my 4.3GL-A. I have heard that it is a good idea to add water to the anti-freeze. Something about it lowers the freezing point or it does not slush up... or something like that. Any one have any thoughts on this?

Also.... I have read that the proper oil for a 4.3 is a synthetic 30W or a 25W40 service SJ. Where do you find such oil weights?
Would it be ok to use a different synthetic oil weight? Does it have to be synthetic?

I said I'm getting ready to winterize but not until after this coming weekend. One more weekend out to close the season :(

ziggy

Admiral
Re: winterizing question

I have heard that it is a good idea to add water to the anti-freeze. Something about it lowers the freezing point or it does not slush up... or something like that. Any one have any thoughts on this?
i think that'd be true if your using green anti freeze. however, you'd want to use pink rv anti freeze which doesn't require water to be added. more like, don't add water. what's critical is that you empty all water from the cooling system of your engine. once the water is out. your safe w/o anything added. if ya want to have extra corrosion protection, put the pink rv anti freeze in it via the tstat. myself, i'm going w/o anything, no anti freeze. air don't freeze.
I have read that the proper oil for a 4.3 is a synthetic 30W or a 25W40 service SJ. Where do you find such oil weights?
well, 30w is most common any where. 25w40 is odd. you can find this at your local mercruiser store. imho, 25w40 is the way to go. that's what i use anyways.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

What year 4.3GL??? Mine is a 2001 and the manual recommends a straight 30 weight conventional oil. I haven't seen that grade in synthetic anywhere. I thought about going with 20w50 but figured that VP knows more about how their engines run than I do. I've seen 15w40 in synthetic but not 20w50. You can always go to your local Volvo Penta dealer and see what they stock and/or recommend.

richocki

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks ziggy and bnicov for the replies.
Ziggy I am sure the person who mentioned adding water was thinking the RV anti-freeze because he is a marine mechanic but then who knows. I did not think to ask because I just thought everyone used the pink stuff - I always have. I usually drain all the water by pulling hoses and the engine block drains then I add the pink stuff via the thermostat hoses. Always worked so why change it.

bnicov, it's a 2003. My old 1994 VP5.7GL used straight 30W but when I heard synthetic 25W40 I wondered.
I believe it can also use the 30W but they still say synthetic, just my luck! I guess I am going to use the 30W seeing it is easier to find then the 25W40 stuff. Thanks again for the come back.