need help

charstar

Cadet
new to boating,and iboats.thanks up front for any advice.heres what i just inherited,17 footer sangster with 3.0L mercrusier LX eng serial ok155627 drive serial ok250933 motor is fwc and full of antifreeze. po was mechanic so was well maintained. problem water in oil and mixed.took water hoses off motor all fittings clean and antifreeze present,pulled hose off exhaust manifold rust and so plugged cant force any water through.now do i pull motor all apart or could rusted out manifold be problem.i now you guys arnt looking at it but is it possible,if it is then i will buy compression tester if not its junk.anyone no hp rating,year

Technorunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: need help

The rusted manifold can be the problem.
If the rust has eaten its way from the waterjacket into the exhaust runners the water will come into the cylinders.
It will then go past the pistonrings and into the oil. If you remove the exhaust manifold you would probably see sign of water or/and rust in the exhaust port on both the manifold and the cylinderhead. Depending on how long it has been sitting with water in it you could getaway with replacing manifold and 2-5 oil changes. If it has been in there for a long time you could have getting problem with stuck pistonrings and rust in the cylinderlining

charstar

Cadet
Re: need help

dont know what i was thinking,when i read your"suggestions"pull the plugs sign lite up in my head.three sparkling new looking plugs and a fourth almost there.good news no rusty water poured out,bad news motor wont rotate.i only tried turning water pump with screw driver,but thats the feeling of time money and pain coming my way.thanks for reply