fuse set up

root beer guy

Seaman Apprentice
(side note, I am getting really tired of being randomly booted off of this site while logged in.)

the boat is a aluminum 1981 16' blue fin, outboard so no engine connections.

after reading a bit, this is what I have gathered from this site:

8 gauge wire from the battery (in front) to the fuse block with a 30 amp fuse. the fuse block is about an arms reach forward from the "driver." so the distance is about 10 feet.

I am running the following goodies;

1) nav lights, each on seperate switch
2) bilge (500 gph attwood)
3) live well (500 gph attwood)
4) "interior" lights (all in one switch): all LED, one forward, one rear, one in the live well
5) lowerance elite 5

14 gauge wire for each item, with typically a 15 amp fuse, and a 5 amp for the lights.

please correct me if I'm wrong-

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: fuse set up

Hi Guy, I wouldn't use a #8 AWG to feed the fuseblock. You can, but it is oversized (also expensive) and may be difficult to terminate on a 30 amp fuseblock. I'd use a #10 AWG instead of #8. The #14 gauge is probably a little oversized too, but it will have better mechanical strength than the minimum wire size, so I'd stick with it. You might check for the recommended fuse size for your pumps and Lowerance unit. I think your pump only draws about 1.5 amps. A 4 or 5 amp fuse is probably appropriate. - Grandad

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Agree with Grandad, if you have the 8 then run it, if not 10 is fine. It's not clear if your fusing each circuit but 15amps is on the upper limit for 14 gauge wire and your risking cooking your equipment before the fuse blows. I'd go 5 amp for everything except the Lowrance, it only needs a 3 amp fuse.

fucawi

Banned

If there is a short in the wiring the fuse will blow even if it 30A. The fuse is there to protect the wiring from going on fire rather than to protect the item on the end . If that has an internal problem its toast anyway....Your fuses or a master fuse should be as close to the battery as possible

root beer guy

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys!

I'll go with 10 gauge from the battery to the fuse block, then 5 amp fuses for everything but the lowrance.

I double checked with a guy at cabela's, and thats the same thing he said too-

thanks!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

If there is a short in the wiring the fuse will blow even if it 30A. The fuse is there to protect the wiring from going on fire rather than to protect the item on the end . If that has an internal problem its toast anyway....Your fuses or a master fuse should be as close to the battery as possible
So why would a component manufacturer specify a maximum fuse size? - Grandad

Fed

Commander

So why would a component manufacturer specify a maximum fuse size? - Grandad
Because they supply the plug in lead or wiring which shouldn't be fused any higher than the cable rating.