Winterizing Volvo Penta 5.0L engine

brl71898

Cadet
I am going to winterize my engine myself this year and was looking for some pointers. I know to drain the raw water pump and the engine circulating pump hoses, any others? Also how many plugs should I be looking for to drain the exhaust manifolds? Lots of discussion on using antifreeze or not after draining, I plan to not use it as I will have the water out of it through the draining, good idea? Lastly, fogging the engine through the removal of the spark plugs good idea or should I just run it before I drain it and fog through the throttle body? Is fogging 100% necessary? I am looking forward to any and all responses. Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winterizing Volvo Penta 5.0L engine

Winterizing Volvo Penta 5.0L engine

That statement means nothing except to tell us it's a V8. We need to know the FULL model number, that means all those letters following the 5.0 and what drive you have.

brl71898

Cadet

That statement means nothing except to tell us it's a V8. We need to know the FULL model number, that means all those letters following the 5.0 and what drive you have.

opps...sorry about the lack of complete information. It is a volvo penta 5.0l Gi with an SX outdrive. Hope that is enough information to answer my questions.

mrbill812

Seaman Apprentice

You did not comply with the Oracles request!:) Give your complete engine model number located on the front of your engine and these guys will get you set up. If you have a GM 5.0l Gi engine the age of mine (2000) you are looking for 4 plugs one on each side of the engine block in the middle, one each on the back of each intake manifold. There are some other hoses you need to remove, but give the Oracle your full model number and he will send you to the shop manual. Take your time and do it right! Be ready to go to the hardware store for new plugs if your wrench slips on the brass or someone wasn't careful removing the plugs in the past.

good luck,
mrbill

brl71898

Cadet

Thanks Mr. Bill and Oracle for your help. Sorry about my insubordination, here is the full model #4110190219. I have my owners manual and it indicates I am draining an oil cooler in the rear of the engine but I am assuming it is referring to the power steering cooler that is mounted horizontally. I found all four brass plugs as well as identified all of the hoses I think I need to drained. Would appreciate any further instruction regarding things I may be missing. Feeling good about the process just don't want any surprises next spring. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's not your model number either, that's the serial number, but it worked to find the model number.
For future information, your full model number is 5.0GiPWTR

Since you did find the power steering cooler on the back of the engine, you also have a rubber plug on the VST (Vapor separator tank). You also need to remove the big hose on the engine circulation pump.

brl71898

Cadet

Okay, after downloading the shop manual online with the link Oracle provided in another questions forum, I identified what I thought was the the power stearing cooler turned out to be the power steering pump. I found no cooler for either the oil or power steering. Is this possible? Also no VST found either. I did find the remaining hoses listed in the manual and with The Oracles suggestions. Just want to be sure before I button everything up for the winter. I was amazed at how much sediment came out of the manifold plugs when probed with a wire. A definite must do.