2001 Trophy WA 2002 - Water in Bilge

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is a first for me......I ended the season Sunday and towed the boat home.
I keep her in a marina from April to October, and I have never had any water in the bilge.
When I pulled the plug like I do every year I was surprised to see about 5 gallons of water train out.
I stopped at a pressure car wash to power wash the hull, trim tabs and engine, but have never seen any water.
Year 2001
Model 2002 WA
Merc 150 Saltwater
:confused:

Any ideas why I would have water this year?

Thanks

John

Re: 2001 Trophy WA 2002 - Water in Bilge

So you are saying you never run your bilge pump and have never had water when you pull the plug?

Do you have an automatic bilge/float switch?

I have owned two boats and have always been amazed as to how much water I have in the bilge from week to week. As long as you know your pumps and switches are working properly, I don't think it is a big issue. But just to be safe, I would check the hull for any place water could get in and also check all through hulls or points of leaking to make sure they are secure and not leaking, including the plug bracket (mine was loose a couple years ago so I took it off, let it all dry for a day or two and re-bed it with 5200).

Just a couple of things to consider.

JPA

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Water in the bilges can come from leaks top side, bad thru hulls, rain, bad wash down/baitwell plumbing or a leaking transom mount. I've never fully kept all the water out, but I definitely have cause to trouble shoot if there's much more than 5 gallons in the bilge. PVC thru hulls have sank more than a few Trophy's . I would look at them closely. The transom mount should be checked on your next service. Common top side leaks would originate from the bow eye, rub rail or swim step bolts. Look for water trails around these areas.

Surprisingly, BOATUS says that a fair number of their claims are from rain water sinking the boat.

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Craig and JPA,

I have owned other boats that always had some water in the bilge, but this was a first for my Trophy. Every other year a few drops came out when removing the plug. Thanks for the advice I will check those areas.

John