Engine shuts down

davesch

Recruit
Good evening to all. I am new to this and have been doing some reading of other similar problems. First I own a 1995 Chaparral 1930 Sport, with a 5.7l, Alpha one. I have bought this as a fixer upper, the motor is fairly new, and the carpet and a few cushions are needing replaced. In all, it was an affordable boat for my family to enjoy and a pit for me to put money into. This is not my first boat, however it is of this kind. I have had it die out on the water three times now, and looking at the fuel gauge, it seems to be at about the same level, after using 17.5 to 20 gallons of a 40 gal tank. It will run great, start up fine, but has happened the last three times. I will be going along, and all of a sudden it will just die, not really sputter, but die. I can start it right back up and it might idle for a second or several minutes. When it starts this, I have had to continue to start and go about 5mph to get back. Doing this, it might run for 5 sec or for 2 minutes, it is drastic. I also sometimes have to pump the throttle a few times it get it to fire up, but sometimes it also doesn't work. I am kinda beside myself. I am thinking it is definetly a fuel issue; carb, hole is fuel pickup tube. I recently placed the fuel filter, water/fuel sep and it did it again to me this past weekend. Any help would be much appreciated. I know alittle about engines, i drag race a malibu with a 355ci and do all that work on my own. This is different and not sure where to start.

Thank you in advance,
Dave

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Engine shuts down

My first thought was also fuel, and I think you might be onto something with the pickup in the tank. If it is accessible, pull it and replace it. If it's not easy to get out then take a 5 gal outboard fuel tank with you next time out. When the engine dies, hook up the 5 gal tank and see what happens....

I would also take a timing light and check to make sure you're not losing spark... Also look to make sure your instruments are still powered when if dies.

HTH,

Chris........

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

What achris said. You need to isolate the system into two seperate parts. From the fuel pump to the carb and then again from the fuel pump to the tank. By running a remote tank, it allows you to narrow down where the problem is. next time it does it try removing the fuel cap to see if you here a vacuum release from the tank. You could be working with a bad anti-siphon valve too.

davesch

Recruit

Chris,
Thank you for your insight. I had thought about buying a tank and hooking it up the next time this happens. Although, I am not looking forward to the being stranded part if it doesn't. I tried to take the fitting loose on the tank, but with no luck. I assume it unscrews, but it is tight and I don't want to break the plastic bung. It is weird, on the tank fitting, there is a thin piece of metal with a hole it it that a flat screwdriver would fit in. I turned it counterclock wise about three turns and then it bottomed out. I am not sure if it is a coinsidense, but after that i was about to run about 6 mph to the marina, but didn't try and go any faster. None of the gauges do anything when the motor dies. The problem with taking the pickup tube out is that the access to it is only a 6in hole in the floor. I have looked on the internet for moeller fuel tanks for pictures of what i have, but with no results. I do think it is fuel related, because after it died a couple times the last time out, I took the flame arrestor off and had someone pump the throttle and could not see or hear any fuel from the squirters in the carb. I took the fuel pump of prior to that specific voyage and it seemed to be pumping and spitting fuel out when pumped by hand. That is also when I changed the filters. It also never rose about about 145 degrees in temp.

davesch

Recruit

I believe the vent on the tank is working, that last time i filled it up I have fuel coming out of it. Would the anti-siphon valve cause the problem also, I can't get it out of the tank.

achris

Another option is to install a section of clear hose in the line. If you have a broken/cracked pickup you will see bubbles or just clear air in the line. I still prefer the remote tank... Very conclusive.

achris

I believe the vent on the tank is working, that last time i filled it up I have fuel coming out of it. Would the anti-siphon valve cause the problem also, I can't get it out of the tank.

If it's closing off too early, yes...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

None of the gauges do anything when the motor dies.

You mean just the same as if the ignition switch was turned off. That says bad electrical connection. Need to understand, when running the gauges are OK and when the engine stops the gauges go dead? If so the problem may be electrical.

davesch

Recruit

Stonyloam,
I should have said that the gauges stay light up, the tack goes to zero, they all stay operational, until the key is turned off and they come back on when I try and restart. It just seems ironic that the boat has died twice with roughly the same amount of fuel used. Thank you for the help, I need all the help and suggestions I can get. I wish this boat was a easy to work on as flatbottom vdrive and buick nailhead motor is.