Cylinder Compression Test Values

nigels

Seaman
For a 1999 4.3 the manual says 100psi on any one cylinder is about as low as it should be before a overhaul is due but the manual does not say where the starting point is. In other words if you did a compression test on brand new engine what psi would you get?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Cylinder Compression Test Values

For a 1999 4.3 the manual says 100psi on any one cylinder is about as low as it should be before a overhaul is due but the manual does not say where the starting point is. In other words if you did a compression test on brand new engine what psi would you get?

Ayuh,.... 150psi, 'n up is a rock solid motor,...
120 to 150psi is probably Ok....
Under 100 psi is a Core motor...

Any motor shouldn't have more than 10%- 15% difference between the cylinders...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

On a brand new engine? Dunno, never done it.
On a run in engine? About 170psi (depends on the gauge and the length of hose) at cranking speed with the throttle wide open and the engine warm.

HTH,

Chris....

nigels

Seaman

The test was done by an independant mechanic I hired when I bought the boat, I was there when he did it but cannot say if the throttle was open or not. The engine had been run but left to cool for at least 2 hours. No squirts of oil. His hose was short only just made the cockpit floor. The results were as follows
#1 200
#2 196
#3 195
#4 200
#5 194
#6 196

I was impressed by the consistancy but thought the readings were too high, my thoughts were atmospheric 15 x +-10:1 150 so where is the extra coming from?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... so where is the extra coming from?

Gauge calibration? Doesn't take much to knock those gauges around, and most of them just live in the bottom of the mechanic's toolbox...

Buy your own gauge, do your own test....

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

The owners manual for my 86 4.3 states...At a compression ratio of 9.3:1, 180 PSI Compression Pressure...

nigels

Seaman

The owners manual for my 86 4.3 states...At a compression ratio of 9.3:1, 180 PSI Compression Pressure...

That's great, my +- 200psi figures can't be right I need to redo the test, I will get my own tester and do it in the spring, (just winterised the boat).

I wonder though what the scientific explanation is; Why atmospheric pressure +- 15psi x 9.3 = 180psi when in theory it should be 140psi ??? is it because of heat or perhaps back pressure in the exhaust.

It would be interesting to learn, any one know?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why atmospheric pressure +- 15psi x 9.3 = 180psi when in theory it should be 140psi ???

It's normal for the newer engine (99 is in that range) to have 160 to 175 compression, but it being down to 140 -150 range is about normal for that year engine with normal minimal maintenance that boats get.