Starter clicking but not turning motor

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My starter clicks when I turn the key but the motor does not turn. If I keep trying eventually it will turn the motor over but then if it doesnt start and I try again it usually just clicks again. It random but mostly clicks instead of doing what its suppose to do. Is it the starter or the selenoid?

76 Johnson 70hp

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Starter clicking but not turning motor

Sounds like worn or sticking brushes in the starter; try tapping the starter with a screwdriver handle or a wrench (lightly) and see if the starter then turns over. Probably need a trip to a starter/genrator shop for a rebuild. Good luck

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tapped on it a couple times yesterday but did not make an immediate difference. I got distracted and came back 10 minutes later and it turned over after clicking it a few times. I will pop it out and bring it somewhere. Do they just clean the brushes or replace stuff?

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you sure it's not your solenoid clicking? Mine was doing the same thing, and I replaced the solenoid. It hasn't done it since.

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It could be the selenoid. I am not sure...I will check all the contact connections just to eliminate that. I had an old convertble VW Beetle that used to do the same thing. I would have to lie underneath the car and bridge the terminals with a scredriver. The starter was fine and it would star everytime

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The solenoid is just a relay switch between the battery and the starter. A magnetic field is generated in a coil inside the solenoid by current through the small bolts, which slams a plunger down across the contacts inside. This bridges the circuit between the two larger bolts, thus sending 12 V to the starter. It's just a big switch. So if you can short the two big bolts, and the starter turns over, then you've ruled out the starter, and indicated the solenoid as the problem.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Most starter problems are actually wiring problems (high resistance terminations, corroded wire, etc.), rather than starter problems at all. (+) and (-) connections need to clean and tight. As described above, check to solenoid. Also, check the voltage at the big (+) terminal on the starter to ground while cranking (should be => 9.6 VDC). Failure to operate with the solenoid just clicking is typical of a low voltage condition caused by wiring most commonly. Last thing to check would be the starter commutator and brushes.

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just took the boat out again this weekend because the weather was fantastic...probably the last good weather before winter. Anyway, without having the time to pull stuff apart and check resistance (which I will do now that it is up for the winter) I did notice this. When it is cold the starter takes forever before it actually spins the motor. But, once it is warmed up from the engine running it works on the second try consistently. Just throwing it out there!