To pre season service my 1977 75hp Chrysler or not?

Skiwi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've only had the boat for about a year, and have finally got everything about it sorted and going well. I mean everything...motor, fuel lines batteries, steering etc. The boating/fishing season is just starting here I have taken it out twice for shake down runs (one over 30km) and it purrs like a kitten.:D

I know I should get it serviced, but it's just running so damn fine I don't want anyone (including me ;)) to tinker with it.

On the flip side, I have never had the leg off to check the oil and impeller and while there is nothing to indicate either of these things require attention it would be nice to know a date when they were last checked.

What say ye.....service pre-season, or not ?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: To pre season service my 1977 75hp Chrysler or not?

change the gear lube, only takes 10 minutes.

Best to change the impeller also.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If youv'e never checked/changed the oil,it's time.
There could be water in there.It's a simple thing,unscrew the drain/fill and see what color the oil is.
Again the same with the impeller.Change it.J

fucawi

Banned

you will also get to see if you are on borrowed time with the impeller housing which may be over 30 years old ...always wash through with fresh water when you get home

Skiwi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you will also get to see if you are on borrowed time with the impeller housing which may be over 30 years old ...always wash through with fresh water when you get home

I'm 90% freshwater lakes, so I have that advantage :)

Thanks for re enforcing what I knew I should do, I'm just getting a impeller ordered and will go from there.