115hp 60degree 1996 charging

zing

Seaman Apprentice
I recently noticed my main starting battery hissing after running the motor for 15minutes and shutting it down. Have had a problem with the regulator overcharging 16v+. I've also discovered the battery cables 18' run are not in great shape, very stiff and slightly crunchy in the middle when you put a bend in the cable.

I speculate that the cables were bad and though I've been fanatical about cleaning the terminals and connectors the cable itself is toast. Could overcharging be harming the cables? Could the bad cables be what is killing regulator/rectifiers, gone through 3?

Electroylyte in the battery tests good and they read 12.65 on the volt meter 12 hours after charging off the motor. Battery is an exide xxhd group 24. I'm going from 2awg to 1awg on the battery cables.

I don't want to damage the new cables and would like to try another regulator and get my tach working again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115hp 60degree 1996 charging

The battery cables are probably what's killing your regulators. Stick with the 1awg for the length that they are. If you're in a salt water area cut one open and see what you find.