Please help, engine ticking?

dfwyatt

Seaman Apprentice
So, out on my 4.3L mercruiser alpha 1 today, driving around for 3 hours completely fine, then when cruising about 4000 rpms back to the boat launch the engine starts making sort of a loud ticking from the right side of it, pretty loud, could hear it while driving obviously, what could this be? What should i start looking for? Oil looks clean and plenty.... ? Anything? <br /><br />Thanks in advance guys

Laddies

Banned
Re: Please help, engine ticking?

As long as it's got good oil pressure it could be pistion with a broken skirt, but lets go with the simple thing a stuck lifter, when was your last oil change, what brand oil filter and after it cooled off did you try to restart, if it's a lifter it might quit and a oil change might fix it, don't do any thing till you have a mechanic or someone with some engine experiance listen to it

dfwyatt

Seaman Apprentice

The oil was just changed, i forget what oil was used, but would an exhaust leak make that ould of a tick? It appears my manifold wasnt bolted on very tight and at idle now, I can feel some exhaust puffing out, but after it cooled off, the ticking has gone away for now.... ?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Dan Wyatt:<br /> but would an exhaust leak make that ould of a tick? It appears my manifold wasnt bolted on very tight and at idle now, I can feel some exhaust puffing out, .... ?
Yes, an exhaust leak will cause a 'tick' and it's not uncommon for varying temperatures to seal/ unseal an exhaust leak.<br /><br />Need to fix the leak first, then re-access the noise if it's still there.<br /><br />Aldo