gimbal bearing removal question

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer
this might be a stupid question as posted before i'm rebuilding outdrive and 470 motor with the outdrive off and the gimble housing off to expose the bellows when i pull the bellows off to replace the gimbal bearing. the motor will be out of boat already can i punch out the gimbal bearing from the engine compartment so i will be pushing instead of pulling has this been done before and if it has what precautions should i take

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: gimbal bearing removal question

Basically no, because there is a seal in the way, and you will smash it in the process, and while it is not much of a seal it is good to have it in place, and a new one is 30 bucks. Use a big sidehammer with a axle bearing puller on the end and you should be OK. BTW borrow both from Autozone for free. Good luck.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

if i remove the seal your talking about can it be done

tpenfield

Staff member

There are some bearing pullers that you can buy that will take the gimbal bearing out and also assist in installing the new one.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

if i remove the seal your talking about can it be done

Why not do it the right way and save yourself a lot of hassle. These methods have been perfected by thousands of mechanics and are 'tried and tested'. Why try and reinvent the wheel?

Trying to push the bearing out from the 'inside' could result in the bearing cocking and damaging the housing. Use a slide hammer and an inside bearing puller. Takes about 24 seconds, if you're not rushing.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

not try to reinvent just asking can it be done if not then it the old way

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not try to reinvent just asking can it be done if not then it the old way

Anything can be done, I agree with achris, but let us all know how it turns out for ya doing it the "new way" :redface:

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

well i guess i will have to do it the ussual way

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

got back to boat did some thanksgiving celebration this weekend pulled motor i realized the grease seal is shot this is why it was a little greasy back there so since motor is out i will replace i don't have gimbal bearing out yet trying to rent tool or make one, is the seal difficult to get out with bearing still in i'm thinking with seal taken out it opens up more options to change gimble bearing to remove seal just use a hammer and punch and carefully punch out

achris

I see you are still persisting with trying to push the bearing out from the inside.... Bye!

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

no just different options on tools to remove right way my mechanic has pullers that will work if the seal was not there it's one of those pullers with a pivot on the end i can stick it in but will not seat because the seal is in the way so if i remove the seal to replace anyways then i can use the pivot puller

achris

no just different options on tools to remove right way my mechanic has pullers that will work if the seal was not there it's one of those pullers with a pivot on the end i can stick it in but will not seat because the seal is in the way so if i remove the seal to replace anyways then i can use the pivot puller

1. Really, really difficult to read this.... Would be really helpful if you used punctuation in future....
2. If your mechanic had the right tools then the seal would not be a problem. He DOES NOT have the right tools! Very few people replace the seal, but a lot replace the bearing, the seal is not an issue. GET THE RIGHT TOOLS!!!!
3. The seal comes out the same way as the bearing, from the rear, through the bellhousing. You have to remove the bearing BEFORE you can remove the seal...

Have a read of your GENUINE service manual, it's all laid out in there, with reference to the right tools for the job... which is just a slide hammer with a three jaw inside bearing puller on it. No need for any 'pivot'....

Chris........

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

agreed, not sure why you are fighting this issue so much, its a 3 min job, why difficult it?

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

listen guys i understand the way to remove the bearing i totaly get it i'm trying to get the right tool. i live in a area where the tool is not available and i can't find one so i have been reading the sticky's on home made ones. as for my mechanics tool i know it's not the right one it would work if the seal was not there but as you guys said the bearing has to come out first so his tool will not work so i'm back to finding the proper tool to remove, i just have to keep looking or make one.
as per my previous post that was the question i never did this type of work before i've bein a outboard person so i'm learning as i go and that's why i ask some question to get everybodies opinion i'm not questioning anybodies opinion just soaking it all in

achris

Try an eBay search for either '3 jaw puller' or 'slide hammer kit'... I just did, and there are thousands available and they won't break the bank. Do you have the Merc service manual for the drive? I think the one for you would be either #2, #4 or #6, depending on the year of the engine/drive.

homemade tool even easier heavy flat plate to go across the bell housing flat plate across the back of the gimbal bearing between the bearing and the seal both with a hole in the centre for a length of threaded rod to go through couple of nuts locked together on one end pass it through the 2 plates so the locked nuts come up against the plate behind the bearing spin another nut up to the plate at the bell housing keep turning bearing falls out

Here's that paragraph again, only this time with punctuation, you'll find it much easier to read.... (get the hint?) Homemade tool? Even easier. Heavy flat plate to go across the bell housing, flat plate across the back of the gimbal bearing (between the bearing and the seal), both with a hole in the centre for a length of threaded rod to go through. Couple of nuts locked together on one end, pass it through the 2 plates so the locked nuts come up against the plate behind the bearing, spin another nut up to the plate at the bell housing, keep turning, bearing falls out.....

Chris.........

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

yes i have manual 6 & 8 there is a picture of a home made one in the sticky's i might try if i can't find one , i will try ebay again with your wording sometimes it's hard to find what you want with the wrong wording THANKS
P.S. wait till i get to the cam seals