Anybody have a 99' VIP Vindicator 2400 w/454

Runnin4fun

Recruit
I just bought a house on Lake Lainer in GA. We live on a big part of the lake and on weekends I have the pleasure of 1st hearing then
watching all the great high performance boats go by at speed. This will be my 1st boat and I found 99' Vindicator for $10k. Two year old interior and
looks good. Owner says everything works but a little wear and tear on the hull with a few stress cracks. I really like the captains call option, which it has. I'm 51 and have always owned fast cars and can do a little work on them when needed. Any thoughts on this boat would be appreciated.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anybody have a 99' VIP Vindicator 2400 w/454

Welcome aboard Runnin,

What drive system? I'd be more concerned about that than hull manufacturer.

Philster

Captain

Stress cracks from life on a lake? Good performance hulls don't get stress cracks pounding through the oceans.

As for the engine/drive: Generally, the hull is the hull. She is what she is. Is she loaded with wet foam? Are the innards rotting? No? Then the health of the engine and outdrive are the concern. How is the exhaust... the compression, the gear slop.... does she hit top RPM range? Is there water in the oil... in the outdrive lube... etc...

Mercruiser marinizes Chevy engines and bolts them to various proprietary Bravo Drives. Bravo 1 drives have weak upper gears and fail at a rate that is worse on 454's and 502's. B1 is the basic performance drive.

That's a 55-60 MPH combo moderately loaded.

Runnin4fun

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I'm used to looking at cars and brand matters. But here it seems that brand isn't important. So if its a VIP, Donzi, Baja or whatever, just look at engines, drives, subsystems and general condition.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info. I'm used to looking at cars and brand matters. But here it seems that brand isn't important. So if its a VIP, Donzi, Baja or whatever, just look at engines, drives, subsystems and general condition.

Vidicators are SWEET!-but you also need to check the hull & transom for rot. Poke around the bilge & stringers and bottom of transom with a screw driver-if it is soft it is rotten. You'll want to look at service records or have the seller tell you what's been done. For $10,000 spend extra couple$$(maybe $300) on a marine survey & mechanical check of the compression & outdrive.Offer to pay for gas take it for a seatrial for an hour.-A owner of a good , well mantained boat will tell you EVERYTHING about it. -I hope you snag a good one. Don't settle for junk-there are alot of good boats for sale due to the economy.