Muffs

thornskin

Cadet
I have a 1991 mariner 115 that works great in the water but I can't get the water muffs to work with it in the driveway. I've tried several different sizes and styles with no luck. Engine has a new impeller and works good on the water with no overheating. Any suggestions?

thornskin

Cadet
Re: Muffs

I've tried that, but the engine was too big for the cut 50g drum I had.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I had a similar problem w/my 30 HP Mariner. I had just had it serviced, including new impeller. It sat for a couple of months, and when I fired it up - no water through the tell-tale. Called up the guy who did the repair work and he suggested that the pump wasn't priming on the muffs.

Solution: I turned on the water and squeezed the muffs against the lower housing, so almost all of the flow was forced through the water intake, until I heard water gurgling inside. Started the motor and, bingo. Good flow through the tell-tale.

Apparently if it sits for awhile all of the water drains out of the lower unit, including the impeller housing, and the pump needs to be re-priimed.

j_martin

Admiral

The pump is a positive displacement paddle pump. If it doesn't self prime, it's defective.

Probably the end plates are grooved. It'll work adequately if submerged, but it's not right, and is indeed the beginning of failure.

BARKLEY

Banned

I have a 1991 mariner 115 that works great in the water but I can't get the water muffs to work with it in the driveway. I've tried several different sizes and styles with no luck. Engine has a new impeller and works good on the water with no overheating. Any suggestions?
Do you have low water pressure? Not enough water can be the problem

capn kurt

Cadet

I too, have had this issue and was able to fix it by doing what a previous poster described: squeezing the muffs against the LU so that no water escaped around the muffs. This was after the installation of a brand new impeller and water pump upper case. Once water started to flow from the telltale, it wasn't necessary to maintain the pressue on the muffs.