Shorted out ignition/amp and radio while installing amp

John1015

Recruit
I have a 2011 bayliner 18.5br. I was trying to install an amplifier and Hooked up the RCA cable to the wrong side of the radio and shorted out the radio/amp/and now the ignition does not have any power. All of the fuses are intact on the power block. I had direct power from the amp to the battery via 8g wires. I cannot find a blown fuse. I removed all power and cables from the amp; however, I still do not have any power to the ignition. the blower works, horn, trim tilt, and lights. The ignition does not start or turn on at all. Where do I look? Is the wiring a inline fuse, are the ignition and the sterio on the same line? Is there an Inline fuse Where would it be? I have looked and cannot find it. Please help!!
Thanks
John

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Shorted out ignition/amp and radio while installing amp

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Look for circuit breaker on or near the engine, then push the button to reset it.

fucawi

Banned

If you cannot sort it you will have to get a voltmeter with a needle probe and staring at the battery +ve stick the cable with the probe along its length until you find the problem ....has amp got an internal fuse ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DO NOT go poking holes in your wiring, that is the worst thing you could do on marine wiring. That will be where corrosion starts.
Every wire has two ends, check at each end, if one end has power and the other doesn't, then you need a new wire.
If things worked before, and you shorted things out, then you have a fuse/circuit breaker open somewhere.

Oh, and in the future, disconnect the battery when you are working on electrical.

John1015

Recruit

DO NOT go poking holes in your wiring, that is the worst thing you could do on marine wiring. That will be where corrosion starts.
Every wire has two ends, check at each end, if one end has power and the other doesn't, then you need a new wire.
If things worked before, and you shorted things out, then you have a fuse/circuit breaker open somewhere.

Oh, and in the future, disconnect the battery when you are working on electrical.

Ok the battery was disconnected. the amp wiring I had hooked up to speakers and everything. I have a battery disconnect switch and when I put the power on to test the work I had done it shorted. I have been looking into this and i found that the rca hookup I used was actually the remote rca cables and this is what is fried the wiring. i am still searching for the fried wire or a blown circuit. I will make sure i do not put holes in the wiring. Thanks for you information

John

John1015

Recruit

The amp has a external fuse that did not blow. I have found that I hooked the RCA cable to the Remote RCA plug on the radio. i ahve disconnected all wiring of the amp and am now trying to find what has shorted the ignition and the radio Power. I have a voltmeter and a circuit tester I will have time on wednesday to look at it. I will take apart the amp r/t the smoke it produced and see if it has a internal fuse or just fried the board. Thank you for your response. And Semper Fi Chief
John

fucawi

Banned

Well of course you put a bit of silicon where you make a pin hole ..the point is if you start pulling off connectors and the like you can disturb the fault and never find it for sure again ....of course both ends of a cable are joined but if one end is 12v and the other is 0v then you have to stick it to find the fault and then deceide if you replace it ..or if you find a dodgy taped up joint behind some structure ......