91' Force 120hp L-Drive - Suddenly shut off?

Open Waters

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all.

Where to begin........ For the past month or so, I've been unable to get the rpms past 4100 at full throttle. Where as in the past, it would run around 5100 to 5200 at full throttle. On Friday I replaced all four (4) spark plugs and fuel filter after running the engine through a decarb session. I got out on the water Saturday and had it running for about an hour. While running, it shut off all of a sudden. There where no loud pops, bangs, buzzers, etc..... No bad/unusual smells or smoke. It was like it ran out of gas, but this was not possible being that I had just put a half tank in it. Tried to restart it 4 or 5 times over the next hour. Ended up calling the tow boat.

I took it back to the ramp this morning to see if it would start. Let's just say it was a quiet ride back to the house.

Any thoughts folks? Thanks in advance.

Open Waters

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 91' Force 120hp L-Drive - Suddenly shut off?

Check the safety kill switch next to shifter, make sure it is in the upward position. If on dash then it needs to be pulled outward and held on place. Next check all around motor for any loose or broken wires. Is there a fuse above the coils? Check it. Check compression and spark on each cylinder. How's the fuel pump diaphragm? It may need replacing as well.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Need to do a compression/spark test.Check the flywheel magnet,then the flywheel key.
Post the results.J

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Part fits 1991D-1992C. Yours is 1991D correct? Then I believe its the right one for your pump.

keithwp

Cadet

Check the safety kill switch next to shifter, make sure it is in the upward position. If on dash then it needs to be pulled outward and held on place. Next check all around motor for any loose or broken wires. Is there a fuse above the coils? Check it. Check compression and spark on each cylinder. How's the fuel pump diaphragm? It may need replacing as well.
Curious, what did you determine was the issue with your motor?